Chapter 13 : Rehearsing with Jeff

Chapter 13

Later...

Blaine POV

Sebastian got money from his parents to buy Jeff a phone, so he left with Nick to go get one. So I brought Jeff to the Warbler practice room so I could work on teenage dream and I was going to try to convince Jeff to sing something so I could record it and show it to the Warbler council.

I played the piano and sang teenage dream for Jeff.

"What did you think?" I asked.

"It was really good."

"Thanks. So... I was thinking... If you sing something, I can record it and show it to the Warbler council, and that can count as your audition. I don't even have to video you, I can just record it as a voice memo."

"I don't even know what to sing though."

"How about teenage dream? I could play the piano while you sing."

"I don't know... I'm just really nervous."

"I know, Jeff. But I promise I'm not going to make fun of you or anything."

"Ok..."

I got my phone ready to record Jeff, and then I started playing the piano. Jeff stood next to me and started singing. I wasn't sure what to expect since I've never heard him sing before, but he was actually really good. His voice was soft, probably because he was nervous. But he sounded good, regardless.

"Did I do ok?" Jeff asked, sounding nervous.

"Jeff, you did great!"

"Do you think they'll let me be in the Warblers?"

"Yeah. We have open spots anyway, so it's not like you have to compete with anyone for a spot."

"Ok. Are we done practicing now? Where did Nick and Sebastian go?"

"Um... They just went to the mall."

"Why?"

"Sebastian needed something."

"Oh..."

"How about we go to the Lima Bean? I'll buy you a hot chocolate and something to eat."

"Ok. Thanks, Blaine."

Jeff hugged me tight. Ugh, he's such a sweetheart.

We walked to the Lima Bean and found a table. I got us both hot chocolates and cookies.

"How's your back feeling today?" I asked.

"It's a little better... Still hurts kind of bad though. Like when I was singing, I was taking deep breaths so I could sing and it just hurts to breathe deeply. I'm so scared I'm going to have a panic attack because hyperventilating hurts my back really bad."

"Aw, I'm sorry. Jeff, can I ask you something?"

"Ok. What?"

"Has your dad hurt you like this before?" I asked, quietly.

"Yeah..."

"Like how often does it happen?"

"I don't know... It's usually just when he gets drunk. That's why I hated when Sebastian brought the alcohol when you guys were studying. I just get scared that people are going to hurt me if they're drunk."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know, Jeff. We don't usually get drunk. Obviously we're underage, so we could get in big trouble if someone caught us. Not to mention, possibly expelled or something from Dalton. But usually Sebastian will just randomly show up with alcohol. I'm not sure where he gets it from. And we drink it just to have some fun. We don't usually get drunk. Usually just tipsy. But I totally got drunk last time. I was really unhappy because of my depression. I'm sorry if I made you scared."

"It's ok. I talked to Nick about it. He said you guys wouldn't hurt me. I trust you guys."

"Good. I'm glad to hear that."

"How does Sebastian get alcohol though?"

"I really don't know. He obviously can't buy it himself, so... Maybe I should ask him. We really shouldn't be drinking it."

"Can you tell me about Sebastian's family? I'm just curious."

"Sebastian doesn't have a good relationship with his family. From what he's told me, his parents are like these rich obnoxious snobs that don't care about him. I guess it was an accident that they had Sebastian, and they literally told him that he was an accident. Like who does that? And they sent him to Dalton so they could pretend they don't have a son."

"Wow..."

"Yeah, Sebastian always says it doesn't bother him, but I think it does. I mean, who wouldn't be bothered by that? Sometimes I wonder if his eating disorder is somehow connected to it. I'm not sure how it would be, but his parents definitely aren't helping the situation. They probably have no idea it's even going on."

"So does he go home for holidays or the summer or like what?"

"His parents don't really pick him up for holidays or on weekends. He goes home for the summer, but his parents travel a lot, so he's home alone for the most part."

"That sucks. He doesn't deserve that..."

"I know. Me and Nick are thinking about trying to work out a plan to have him stay with us over the summer so he doesn't have to be alone so much. But the summer is a long way away, so we have time. Maybe you want to stay with us too."

"I would love to get away from home. I don't know if my dad would let me though..."

"Is it just you and your dad?"

"Yeah. I'm not really sure what happened to my mom. I don't have any memory of her and my dad won't tell me if they got a divorce or what."

"You don't have any siblings?"

"No. Sometimes I wish I did. I just get lonely sometimes. Not really anymore though. Because I have you guys."

I smiled.

"Yeah, I'm really glad I met you, Jeff. You're such a great friend."

"So are you," Jeff said, smiling.

"We should start heading back to Dalton. I think Nick and Sebastian are getting back soon."

"Ok."