Chapter 35 : Uptown Girl auditions

Chapter 35

Later...

Nick POV

I met up with Kurt before our auditions. I went first and sang Uptown Girl. I felt really good about my performance. And then I waited outside the practice room for Kurt.

Before he could finish, Sebastian showed up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm here to ask them to move the audition day," Sebastian said, with a scratchy voice.

"Sebastian, come on. Just let me have it."

Kurt came out, looking nervous, but less nervous than he was before.

"How'd it go?" I asked, as Sebastian went into the practice room.

"Good, I think. It was just a bit nerve wracking."

"That's not fair! I can audition, just not today!" Sebastian shouted.

"Sebastian, we don't have time to push the audition off. We need to start thinking about Sectionals."

I heard a loud crash and then Sebastian stormed out of the practice room and down the hall.

Kurt stepped a bit closer to me, obviously nervous.

"He has a bit of a temper," I said.

We watched as Jeff and Blaine came walking down the hall towards us.

"You guys ok? We just saw Sebastian, and he didn't look happy," Blaine said.

"Yeah, he asked to move the audition since he obviously can't audition today, and they said no," I said.

"Ahhh... So you get the lead then?" Blaine asked.

"Yup."

"Congrats!" Jeff said, hugging me.

"Thanks, Jeff."

"Come on. Let's go in and wait for the meeting to start," Blaine said.

Later...

Blaine POV

Our Warbler meeting ran late since we were discussing one more song to do before Sectionals. We decided on Animal. Auditions were going to be in a few days. Except we weren't allowed to audition alone. They wanted us to audition in pairs, like a duet. And I was super excited.

After the meeting was over, Nick and Jeff went to their dorm. But Kurt and I went to the cafeteria because we were both hungry. 

After we got our dinners, we sat down across from each other at our usual table.

"So Kurt, now that you're a Warbler... I was thinking maybe we could audition together for Animal."

"I don't know, Blaine. I just joined. I don't think I should audition for anything for a while."

"Come on. Please? I want to hear your voice. And I think our voices would sound really good together."

"I don't know..."

"Please?"

Kurt looked up at me.

"Alright, fine. But we need to practice a lot. I like to be prepared for stuff like this."

"Of course. We can start tomorrow in the Warbler practice room."

"Ok, sounds good."

After dinner, we went back to our dorms since it was getting late and we were both tired. Sebastian was on his phone in bed, and he wouldn't acknowledge me when I came in the room.

"Seb?"

"What?" He asked, still not looking at me.

"Look, I know you didn't get the lead today. Some things just aren't meant to be. It's ok. It wasn't your fault. You didn't not get it because you were bad. You didn't get it because you're sick."

"I'm still frustrated."

"I know. But look. We're doing one more song before we pick songs for Sectionals. So you have one more audition if you want to try for it."

"Really? What song?"

"Animal."

"Ok, cool."

"Except there's one thing."

"What?"

"They're requiring us to audition in pairs. Like a duet. So if you want to audition, you need to find an audition partner."

"Ok, easy. Want to be my partner?"

"Oh um... I actually already have a partner."

Sebastian crossed his arms.

"Who?" He asked.

"Kurt," I said, quietly.

"Are you kidding me!?"

"I'm sorry! I wasn't even thinking! But Kurt's new to the Warblers, so..."

"So what!? So you felt like you could betray your best friend!? Again!?"

"Sebastian-"

I was interrupted by our dorm door opening. I turned around and saw Jeff, looking a bit nervous.

"Hi, um... Nick wanted me to come ask you guys if you could fight a little bit quieter because he doesn't feel good and he's trying to get to bed early," Jeff said, quietly.

"Oh no, did he catch what Sebastian has?" I asked.

"Yeah, I think so. He said his throat hurts."

"Ok. We'll try to be quiet. Let me know if he needs anything," I said.

"Ok. Thanks."

Jeff left and I turned back to face Sebastian.

"Now I can't even ask Nick to be my audition partner because he'll be sick during auditions," Sebastian said, annoyed.

"Well that's not my fault."

"Maybe I'll try asking Jeff."

"You know he won't do it, Sebastian. He wouldn't even audition in front of the Council to get into the Warblers."

"Well I don't really have any other options, Blaine! I don't know the other Warblers well enough to audition with them!"

"Ok, calm down. Nick is trying to sleep."

Sebastian sighed, obviously annoyed.

"I'm sorry, Sebastian."

I got changed into my pjs and then got into bed.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Sebastian."

"I'm hurt, Blaine. And you can't tell me how to feel."

I sighed and laid down. I'm hoping he won't be so mad at me in the morning.