Chapter 47 : Essays and singing practice

Chapter 47

The next day...    

Nick POV

Sebastian got picked up by his parents right after our last class of the day. We'd started the essay last night and we can all access the file to edit it, so he's supposed to write the rest of his 2 pages this weekend since he can access it. If we fail this project because he doesn't do his part, it's going to be all his fault.

I was hanging out in Blaine's dorm when Kurt came in.

"Guys, does Jeff normally go home for the weekend?" Kurt asked.

"No. He hates going home. His dad hurts him," Blaine said.

"Oh... Um... Well I was just in his dorm and he was packing a suitcase and said his dad was picking him up for the weekend."

"That's not good," Blaine said.

Blaine got up and left the dorm, so I got up, and me and Kurt followed Blaine to mine and Jeff's dorm.

"Jeff, what's going on? Why is your dad picking you up?" Blaine asked.

"I don't know. He didn't say," Jeff said, staring at the floor.

"Ok, well please just try to be safe, ok? And text me if something happens," Blaine said.

"Ok. I have to go. See you Sunday," Jeff said, walking out of our dorm.

We all went back to Blaine's dorm.

"I think we should work on our parts of the essay, that way our parts are done and we don't have to worry about the project until Sunday night when Sebastian and Jeff get back and we see if they did their parts," Blaine said.

"I don't know if Jeff is going to be able to do his part," I said.

"Why?" Blaine asked.

"He doesn't have a laptop or anything."

"Oh... I didn't know."

"Yeah. Not only does he have an abusive dad, but his dad spends all his income on beer and alcohol. So they're kind of poor. And obviously he doesn't care if Jeff has a laptop or not, even if it's for school."

"Ok. Well we'll just see what the situation is on Sunday night. Let's focus on our parts for now."

"Ok."

Later...

Blaine POV

We'd been in the library for a few hours now, working on our essay. Kurt was with us, supervising, but I don't have a problem with Nick, and he doesn't have a problem with me.

I was actually almost done with my 2 pages that I had to do. I kept glancing over at Nick's computer screen though, and he barely even had a few sentences written.

"Nick?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"We've been working on this essay for hours. I'm almost done and you've barely even started. What's going on? Why do you have barely anything written?" I asked.

"I just can't stop thinking about Jeff, ok? It's just bothering me."

"What's bothering you? That you guys are in a fight?"

"No. Well, yeah. But he's at home for the weekend. And I'm worried about him. And I wish I hadn't been so mean and yelled at him."

"Oh... Well you guys can make up and talk when he gets back."

"I'm just worried how he's going to be when he gets back. Like what if his dad gets really drunk and beats him really bad?"

"Then we'll handle it on Sunday night. Stop worrying about it. There's nothing you can do about it now."

"Ok... I just can't concentrate though."

"Then let's take a break. You have a solo for Uptown Girl. We could practice that for a little while and try to get your mind off Jeff."

"Fine."

We packed up our stuff and went to the Warbler practice room. Kurt came too since we thought it would be good for him to give Nick some feedback on his singing too.

He practiced for about 20 minutes and then sat down on one of the couches and sighed.

"I'm tired of singing," he said.

"Ok, then Kurt and I can take a turn and practice and you can give us feedback," I said, standing up.

"What are we practicing?" Kurt asked.

"You know how we auditioned for Animal before spring break?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well we got it! So we should practice."

"Did we really?"

"Yeah! We were good, Kurt! Our audition sounded amazing."

"Really?"

"Yeah! Why are you acting so surprised?"

"I guess nobody at my old school never said anything like that to me before."

"Oh... Well you have a really good voice, Kurt. Our voices sound really good together."

"But our voices are so different."

"That's why they sound so good together. They compliment each other."

"I guess that makes sense."

"So let's practice."