Chapter 30 : Garage escape

Chapter 30

Later...

Nick POV

I woke up to the sound of a door slamming into the wall. I immediately felt Jeff tense up beside me. He found my hand under the covers and held on tight.

The covers were ripped off of us and I saw Jeff's dad standing over us.

He grabbed both of our wrists and yanked us out of bed. I could smell the alcohol on him. And I was scared.

He dragged us down the stairs and then shoved us both through a door into pitch blackness. He slammed the door shut, and we were in complete darkness. And it was freezing, wherever we were.

"Jeff?"

"I thought I was Jeffy."

"Whatever. Where are we?"

"In the garage."

Jeff found me in the dark and grabbed my hand again.

"What happens now?" I asked.

"Now we're locked in here until my dad decides we can come out."

"How long is that?"

"Could be hours. Or days."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah."

"We need to get out of here. I'm starting to freak out."

"Why?"

"Because it's dark and we're locked in a room. It just makes me scared."

"Well we can't get out. We're locked in."

"Can't we open the garage door? Like not the one we were just thrown through. The one to the outside."

"I don't know. I don't know how. It's an electric garage door but my dad disconnected it from the power. He just parks outside."

"There's usually like a cord you can pull to open it manually."

"Where?"

"Like hanging from above."

"Oh..."

"You've never seen it?"

"The only time I'm in here, it's pitch black."

"Oh... Well help me find it. I feel like I might have a panic attack if I don't get out of here."

"Have you ever had a panic attack before?"

"No. And I don't want to. So help me find the cord."

Jeff and I searched around in the dark, but I think we were too short to reach the cord.

"Ok, one of us needs to lift the other up to try to find it," I said, feeling my chest getting tighter.

"Ok. You lift me. I'm light."

I got Jeff up on my shoulders. But it was really hard for both of us to keep our balance in the dark.

"I feel something!" Jeff said.

"Does it feel like a cord?"

"A cord with a handle."

"Well pull it!"

I heard the garage door move. And I felt a ton of cold air rush in. I ran over to the garage door and opened it all the way. I felt much better, knowing I wasn't locked in anymore.

"Now what?" Jeff asked, appearing beside me.

"Now we sneak back in, get our suitcases, and start walking back to Dalton."