Puppet Master - Part 1 - Petyr x Varys x Reader

My first imagine for the new book, and what better way to start than with a little something for two of the best players of the game. Petyr and Varys. I hope that you all enjoy.

Petyr absentmindedly looked through the pile of papers on his desk. Something was going on in Kings Landing, and he didn't like it. Something that he didn't have control over, or knowledge of. And he was sure that the only person that could be behind all of it, was Varys.

It had been going on for some time. Every step of the way someone seemed to have got there before him. Every little scheme seemed to be foiled. Even all his contacts and spies seemed to know nothing. As if they were providing all their usual information to another party. A party that either had more than enough gold to pay for their silence or was powerful enough to scare them into it. Even his whores seemed to know nothing.

Petyr begrudgingly had to admit to himself that he quiet enjoyed his little games with Varys. Enjoyed their battle of wits. And most of the time it was give and take. A win here, a loss there. But now Petyr seemed to be losing all the time. And he wasn't enjoying it one little bit.

                                                            >>--------------------------------<<

Varys sat at his desk, looking out onto the great city that lay beyond his window. Something was going on in Kings Landing, and he wasn't sure he liked it. It was something that he didn't have control over, or knowledge of. And he was sure that the only person that could be behind all of it was his nemesis, Baelish.

It had been going on for some time. Every step of the way someone seemed to have got there before him. Every little scheme seemed to be foiled. Even all his contacts and little birds seemed to know nothing. As if they were providing all their usual information to another party. A party that either had more than enough gold to pay for their silence or was powerful enough to scare them into it.

Varys didn't like what Baelish did at all. He didn't like what he stood for, or how he was trying to undermine all that he believed was important. But despite his dislike for his arch-rival, the Master of Whispers had to admit to himself that he quiet enjoyed his little games with the whoremonger. Enjoyed their battle of wits. And most of the time it was give and take. A win here, a loss there. But now the spider seemed to be losing all the time. And he wasn't enjoying it one little bit. He felt as though he was being manipulated. Being toyed with. His strings being pulled like those of a marionette. So, one way or another, he was going to have to find out what was going on.

                                                         >>-------------------------------<<

Petyr made his way out of his rooms. He needed some air. He needed to think about what to do next. About how he could turn this whole disturbing situation around and get back the upper hand.

"Lady Lannister." Petyr called out as he spied Tyrion's twin gliding gracefully down the long corridor. The young lioness turning and smiling as the Master of Coin walked up to her.

Despite her father's usual feelings towards women, and the rest of his children. Tywin seemed to feel differently for (Y/n). The old lion actually discussed things with her. They would spend many nights talking quietly as the rest of the Red Keep slept. Tywin actually seeming to take her advice on many areas. And Petyr found that kind of power, quite an aphrodisiac.

"Lord Baelish. I was just going to the garden to get some air. Would you like to join me?" (Y/n) asked, as she took the arm that Petyr eagerly offered. The two continuing on their way out to the garden.

"You seem a little preoccupied Lord Baelish. Is something worrying you. Is the royal treasury that depleted. Should my father be concerned for Robert's financial matters?" (Y/n) chuckled, as she and Petyr made their way out into the light.

"The only thing that I am preoccupied with, my dear (Y/n), is your beauty and intelligence. When will you admit that you and I would make a perfect match? That you should accept my proposal of marriage?" Petyr cooed softly, as he helped her to one of the benches. The lioness closing her eyes and sighing as the balmy afternoon sun, bathed her skin in its warm glow.

"Lord Baelish. Marrying me will not get you any closer to the throne. I am but a pawn, like all my other siblings in our father's game for power. Just a simple woman." (Y/n) replied. Smiling softly as she felt Petyr move a little closer. His fingers brushing some of her long pale hair back behind her ear.

"You are far from a simple woman, (Y/n). And what makes you think that I only wish to marry you to get closer to the throne. Can I not want to marry you for love?" Petyr continued. Furrowing his eyebrows in confusion as (Y/n) turned to him and laughed.

"Please, Petyr. You are right about one thing. I am far from being a simple woman. And given that, I am also far from a fool. So please don't treat me like one. I like you Petyr. I really do. There is no arguing that you are an appealing man. And you have a wickedness about you that I confess I find quite attractive. But I know you. I know that the only thing that you are truly interested in, is power. And that the only person that you will ever really, genuinely care about, is yourself. That said, I find the time that I spend with you, quite interesting. And I thoroughly enjoy our conversations. So, let's have no more talk of thrones or love. Tell me instead of your life beyond these walls. What it is to be the mockingbird?" (Y/n) enquired. As once again she turned her attention to the sun.

                                                               >>--------------------------------<<

Varys made his way out of his rooms. He needed some air. He needed to think about what to do next. About how he could turn this whole disturbing situation around. And get to the bottom of what was happening.

As he made his way through the Keep and out onto the balcony that overlooked the gardens, Varys spied Baelish speaking quietly with the youngest lioness. The two sitting on one of the simple benches that were placed periodically in the grounds.

There was always something about (Y/n) Lannister that Varys didn't quite trust. He could never quite put his finger on what it was, but there was definitely something. And Varys didn't know whether to be intrigued or concerned. That said, the Master of Whispers still held (Y/n) in high regard, just as he did her twin. Like Tyrion and her father, she was intelligent, though Varys sometimes believed that she was far too intelligent. Yet that intelligence did mean that she was far too smart to be taken in by the whoremonger's usual smooth talk, and wicked smiles. Varys knew that if Baelish was able claim the lioness' hand, then it would give him an upper hand in their little game. But the Master of Whispers also knew that Tywin was never going to let that happen. And even though Baelish had money and influence, that the old lion had other, greater plans for his daughter.

Varys had always been surprised that Tywin held (Y/n) in such high esteem. Especially given the Lannister patriarch's ideas on women, and how poorly he treated his other children, particularly (Y/n)'s twin Tyrion. But the more that the Master of Whispers spoke to the young lioness, the more that he could understand why Tywin actually listened to (Y/n) when she spoke. So, given that, he couldn't help but think that the lioness had more influence than most people realised. And if he could get her away from Baelish for long enough, then he knew that she could be a powerful ally.

The sound of a sudden laugh refocused Varys' attention on the pair. Varys watching as Baelish moved closer to (Y/n). It was obvious that Petyr had the same ideas about allying himself to the young woman. And if he couldn't do it by persuading her to marry him, then he was sure that his rival would find some other way. Yet given the current situation where his power and web of information were being compromised. Varys hoped that he could convince her to work with him, rather than his nemesis.