Insomnia - Modern AU - Sandor x Reader

I have been asked for some more modern AUs. So, I decided to start with one of my favourite big men, Sandor. I hope you enjoy.

Sandor slumped down on the sofa. He was desperate for sleep. But as always, his insomnia was playing up, and it was driving him crazy. He had tried everything he could to fix it. Long walks. Lots of exercise. Avoid coffee. No large meals before bed. But despite everything he had tried, nothing that he had ever done. Nothing that the doctors had ever given him, had made it any better. And what made it worse tonight, was that (Y/n) was several thousand miles away, on the other side of the country, because of a business meeting.

Normally (Y/n) would stay awake with him. Gently cradling him in her arms as she combed her fingers through his hair, listening to him tell her about his day. Listening to him tell her about the people at work. About how Tormund was driving him insane with his latest antics. (Y/n) always laughing as he would grumble about the big red headed man. Tonight though, all he had for company were the usual old re-runs of 'I Love Lucy' on late night TV.

Sandor looked over at the phone, mentally calculating what time it would be where (Y/n) was. He knew all too well that she had insomnia too. They were two of a kind, and that was one of the many reasons that Sandor loved her. So, he knew if he called, the chances of him finding her awake, were probably good.

Sandor picked up his cell, his fingers ghosting over the buttons as he looked at the screen. A picture of his beautiful girlfriend smiling back at him. Part of him felt guilty about calling and possibly waking her. But the greater part of him knew that the only possible chance of him getting anything close to sleep, depended on him speaking to (Y/n).

Sandor hit the button, the phone instantly calling her number. If he heard her voice. If he could just speak to her. He knew that he would instantly feel better.

He was always shocked that someone as special and beautiful as (Y/n), would be with him. He had to admit that he was hard to live with. He could be gruff, and rough, and not exactly known as the romantic type. That, and the injury from his childhood that had scared his face, would normally make most women run for the hills. But (Y/n) had stuck with him through everything. And despite him being self-conscious about the burn that marred his skin, (Y/n) had always told him that it gave him character. That it made him special. Showed the world that even an injury like that, couldn't bring him down. And without it, he wouldn't be the man she loved.

"Sandor honey, is everything ok? I can be on the first flight back if you're not." (Y/n) said, as she answered the phone, concern evident in her voice. She didn't go interstate often, she hated being away from him. But when she was forced to, she was always on alert just in case he needed her. Knowing that he really didn't have anyone else to turn to.

Sandor knew he shouldn't, but he couldn't help chuckling to himself. He was always taken aback by how much she loved him. How concerned for him and his welfare she was, even after all the time that they had been together. Unable to believe that he could really be that lucky.

"No (Y/n) I'm fine. I didn't mean to worry ya. It's just....... well, it's just that I can't sleep. I know I shouldn't have scared ya." The big man explained apologetically, as he heard (Y/n) let out a relieved sigh.

"That's ok honey. So big bad Mister Insomnia is playing up again is he? Well, he's having a busy night, cos he's keeping me up too." (Y/n) chuckled on the other side of the line. Sandor feeling instantly better by just hearing her laugh.

"(Y/n)."

"Yes honey."

"What ya wearing?" Sandor growled seductively, imagining (Y/n) in the bright scarlet lacey underwear that he loved so much.

"Well, at the moment......." (Y/n) purred in reply.

"I'm wearing............ thick fluffy socks, jeans, a huge woollen jumper, and a beanie. Its freezing here." (Y/n) laughed, knowing that unfortunately she had ruined her lover's fantasy.

"Do ya have ta spoil all my fun?" Sandor grumbled. Chuckling along with (Y/n) as she continued to giggle.

"You, Mister Clegane, can save all that fun for when I get home. Twenty four hours and I'll be back with you. And then I can show you the surprise that I bought for you." (Y/n) said, her words making Sandor sit up a little straighter on the sofa.

"Surprise? What kind of surprise?" The big man asked excitedly. His eyes sparkling with an impish glee, as his imagination began to run wild.

"Well, I'll give you a clue. They're black, and lacey, and covered in little red roses. And they will look better on our bedroom floor than they will do on me. They may even replace the scarlet ones as your favourites." (Y/n) said. Giggling all the more, as she imagined Sandor's grinning face.

"(Y/n). How am I gonna sleep if ya tell me things like that? Ya were supposed ta help me sleep, not make me horny." Sandor groaned. Pouting slightly, as (Y/n) continued to chuckle.

"Oh, my poor baby. Don't worry, mommy will make you feel better when she gets home. Now stop pouting and tell me about your day." (Y/n) told him, as Sandor began to gladly unload the stress of his day, to the one person that he knew actually cared.

An hour later, and Sandor was laying back on the sofa. Every last ounce of tension leaving his body. And for the first time since (Y/n) had had to leave, he felt his eyes grow heavy. 

"Feel better now?" (Y/n) asked, smiling as she heard her big man yawn on the other side of the phone.

"Mmmmm, but I still wish ya were here. Tha bed is cold, and I spent long enough in a cold, empty bed. I much prefer a warm bed with you in it." Sandor replied sleepily, as he got up from the sofa and made his way back to the bedroom.

"I know honey. But don't worry. When I get home, I'm staying home. So, I can keep my eye on my big insomniac. Then he won't have to watch 'I Love Lucy' re-runs all night." (Y/n) told him. Listening happily as Sandor chuckled between yawns.

"I love ya (Y/n)." Sandor said. Sliding back under the sheets and pulled the comforter up under his chin.

"I love you too, my big cuddly teddy bear. Now sleep Mister Clegane. And I'll see you soon."

Sandor hung up the phone, humming happily as he sank into the mattress. His world so much better than it was before. As his eyes slowly closed, he was glad that he had found a cure for insomnia that no doctor, and no amount of exercise had ever been able to give him. The only cure that he ever needed. And that was (Y/n).