Chapter One Hundred and Three

Songs for this chapter:
• 'tis the damn season - Taylor Swift

Chapter One Hundred and Three:

Lexi's POV

I stick my hands into the front pocket of my oversized sweatshirt and let out a shuddering breath.

It's February in New York City, but for some reason, today seems to be particularly cold.

The man to my right is holding a bouquet of red roses, an anxious tap controlling his foot. His eyes suddenly light up, and when I glance in the same direction that he's looking in, I see a woman hauling a suitcase and backpack as she weaves in and out around moving people.

As soon as the woman breaks free from the crowd, she rushes towards the man and collapses into his arms. Her luggage is abandoned on the floor and her arms are flung around his neck with a sob.

"Happy Valentine's Day, my love," the man says to his lover.

I look away from them and take a couple steps away, giving the happy pair some privacy.

To give them some privacy, but also to dull the ache of envy suddenly rearing up in my chest.

I'm at the airport, but it's not because I'm waiting for the love of my life to fly into the city.

I mean, I wish that was me, running into the arms of the man that I love, but that obviously isn't going to be the case as the person I care about most in the world is currently sitting in a class at Columbia University, where I'm hoping he will remain for the next little while so that my plan works out as anticipated.

Nonetheless, even though who I'm waiting for is certainly not going to sweep me up into their arms and hand me a bouquet of flowers, I'm still beyond excited to see them.

And then, as though my thoughts somehow drew them towards me:

"Lexi!"

I glance up from my shoes to find Mateo and Vanessa approximately three feet away from me.

And then three becomes zero in a matter of seconds and then we're hugging and I'm gripping their shirts because I'm so happy to see them, so indescribably happy.

"I missed you so much," I whisper, refusing to let either of them go because I haven't had a hug in so long and it wasn't until just now that I'm realizing how damn badly I needed one.

"We missed you too!" Vanessa exclaims, breaking free from our hug with a smile.

Mateo keeps one arm around my shoulders before reaching down to lace his fingers through his girlfriends. Despite the fact that I can feel my jealousy flaring up again, I can't help but to smile at the two of them.

Mateo leans in to kiss me on the cheek, and we begin to make our way through the airport and towards the baggage claim. There's a sudden lightness in my heart now that I have two of my favourite people by my side, and even though our little group feels somewhat incomplete without a certain moody, six and a half feet tall man with the most beautiful amber eyes in the whole wide world, I'm still happy to be with them nonetheless.

"How have you been, Lex?" Mateo asks softly.

I give him a small smile. "I've been okay. Busy with school and a little bit lonely, but okay." 

This makes both Vanessa and Mateo frown slightly, and they momentarily make eye contact before masking their expressions and glancing back towards me.

Cautiously, Mateo now asks me, "Have you seen him lately?"

Even though he doesn't say a name, I automatically know who he's talking about.