Chapter Sixteen

Songs for this chapter:
• Close - Nick Jonas & Tove Lo

Chapter Sixteen:

Lexi's POV

"Why was Scarlett so upset during breakfast earlier?" I ask Bryce, setting down my tube of mascara.

Brunch was extremely normal after that peculiar moment that Bryce, Anders, and Scarlett had shared together. Our food was pretty good, and because of whatever emotional moment she had had towards the beginning of the meal, Scarlett didn't feel the need to comment on the fact that I was eating a chocolate crepe while drinking hot chocolate, just like a small child would.

Bryce walks up behind me, not wearing a shirt. He presses his chest to my back, wrapping his arms firmly around my waist so that he can hold my body flush against his. He cranes his neck down so that he can skim his nose from my shoulder and up my neck, finally pausing when his lips are right against my ear to whisper, "It's just something about her sister. There's no need to worry. She's got everything handled."

He then presses a soft, careful kiss to my neck. I shudder, my hands instinctually reaching to grip his arms, which are still holding me firmly. He pulls his lips away only to kiss me again, gradually moving down towards my shoulder once more.

How this doesn't hurt his back, as he's forced to bend down so much, is beyond me, but I don't find myself able to complain. Instead, I'm biting down on the inside of my cheek as Bryce pushes himself harder against me, making it seem as though I'm able to feel all of the contours of his muscles through the thin fabric of my shirt.

When he snakes one arm up from my waist so that he can use his fingers to tug the first strap of my tank top down, I gasp for air before hissing, "Stop. You can't do this right now."

Bryce chuckles, and I'm able to feel the way his chest rises and falls. "Can't do what?" he asks innocently.

I grip his arm a little bit tighter. "You know exactly what I mean, Bryce."

"You're saying that I can't get you riled up before we have company over, yes?" he questions, and I can see the smirk on his face thanks to his reflection in the mirror in front of me.

I nod, swallowing hard, and Bryce straightens up his back before pulling the tank top strap back up. He kisses me on the top of my head now before combing his fingers through my hair, asking me, "Are you nervous to see him again?"

"Who? Knox? Because of course not. Why would I be?" I reply, to which Bryce sighs.

"Oh. Well, I'm nervous. I don't know how I'm going to be able to look that British bastard in the eye," Bryce then says, taking a few steps away from me to go and take a seat down on the bed instead.

I'm not sure why Knox is suddenly such an issue again for Bryce, but when I try and recall a moment where they would've seen each other since Bryce ran into us when he was with Scarlett and I was with Knox, I'm unable to think of anything.

Sighing, I make my way towards Bryce, planting my hands firmly on his shoulders. He watches me with wide eyes as I take a seat in his lap, wrapping my legs around his waist before reaching up from his shoulders to hold his face.

His lips are slightly pouted, cheeks a little flushed and eyebrows furrowed. He looks adorable, to say the least, and he almost even looks innocent right now.

"You haven't kissed me on the lips since you got mad at me last night," he says quietly, breaking our eye contact.

He reaches out to touch me, one of his hands snaking around my waist while the other reaches up to hold my neck, gently. He tugs me a bit closer to him and I'm suddenly gasping for air, but not from the slight pressure his hand is putting on my neck.