Chapter Seventy-Eight

Songs for this chapter:
• Afterglow - Taylor Swift

Chapter Seventy-Eight:

Lexi's POV

"I haven't felt this happy in so long. Thank you for lifting my mood so much from yesterday. You really did save me, Bryce. I will never be able to thank you enough," I whisper as Bryce and I make our way down the hallway and towards his apartment.

We're holding hands as we walk, our bodies pressed together. After that initial kiss at the beginning of dinner, we've shared several other brief, secret kisses that haven't failed to make my toes curl each and every time. Apart from the kisses, though, we've pretty much been glued to each other's sides all evening, and I couldn't possibly be happier right now.

Since Bryce and I aren't in a relationship anymore, I find myself savouring each and every moment with him as though it'll be my last. We had a lovely dinner, the food was delicious, and being out on a real date with Bryce made my heart soar, and so though I'm excited to be heading home with Bryce so that we can have some time alone together, a part of me is devastated that this night is over.

"I'm very glad to hear that you're happy, Blossom. I know yesterday was a tough day, and so I'm very glad to know that I've been able to cheer you up a little bit, sweetheart," Bryce responds, giving my hand a small squeeze.

When I look up into his eyes, I immediately see that he's a little bit sad, too. I ignore the way his expression makes my heart ache as best as I can, but since I'm scared that I'll start crying as soon as I open my mouth again,the only way I'm able to respond to him is by squeezing his hand back.

We remain silent as we continue down the hallway, the only sound being the jangle of Bryce's keys as he retrieves them from one of the pockets of his pants. It isn't until we're two doors down from Bryce's apartment that one of us says something.

It's me who speaks, because as soon as the door to the apartment next to Bryce's opens up and someone steps into the hallway, I can't help but to blurt out, "Holy shit!"

I see Bryce give me a strange look out of the corner of my eye, but I don't pay him much attention because I'm gaping at the woman who just joined us in the hallway after stepping out of her apartment.

Bryce lets out a soft sigh when he realises that I don't plan on saying anything else. He gives my hand another squeeze before turning to face his neighbour.

Her chestnut hair is pulled up into a tight bun atop her head and she somehow looks perfectly pulled together even though she's wearing minimal makeup and jeans and a simple lavender blouse. She's just a little less than double my age, and yet she somehow radiates the confidence of someone many years older.

"Hi, Ms. Lovett. How are you? This is my friend Lexi. She's staying with me for a few weeks," Bryce says to his neighbour with a smile. "I'm not sure why she's acting so bizarre all of a sudden."

I turn away from the woman in front of me to narrow my eyes at Bryce. When he catches me staring he looks down and raises an eyebrow at me. I pinch him in the arm in response.

"Why did you never tell me that Danielle Lovett is your neighbour? She was one of the best Christine Daaés on Broadway! I look up to her so much. You know she went to Juilliard too, right? She's incredible," I exclaim, finding myself gushing like an idiotic fangirl without considering how much I'm embarrassing myself right now.

Thankfully, Danielle doesn't seem to find my behaviour too creepy as she instead turns to me and smiles. "Don't be too hard on him. I only moved in a month ago. You're very kind, though, Lexi. Do you go to Juilliard for voice?"