Chapter Seventy

Songs for this chapter:
• Would You Mind - PRETTYMUCH

Chapter Seventy:

Lexi's POV

"Why do you look so nervous? It's just me."

I look up into Bryce's warm amber eyes, and my breath catches in my throat.

"I'm not nervous. I just don't want to embarrass myself in front of you," I claim quietly, despite the fact that my arms are pinned to my sides anxiously as Bryce and I stand facing each other on the dance floor.

Bryce chuckles. "Sure you're not."

I narrow my eyes at him, scowling. "I don't see you making any effort to dance with me either, Mr. Bradshaw."

Bryce chuckles again, a deeper laugh that makes my heart clench. "Okay, then, Miss Brooks. Would it be all right if I touched you?"

I blink at him.

He's asking for my permission this time.

Slowly, I nod my head at him.

He tilts his head to the side and smiles, a boyish sort of grin that makes my heart leap in my chest.

His dimples. God, those dimples.

Since he now has my permission, I watch as Bryce reaches out to me, his hands finding my hips. He gives me a reassuring squeeze before gently tugging me a little bit closer towards him, forcing me to take a few steps forward so that are bodies are now flushed together.

My breath hitches when my chest comes in contact with Bryce's. I can feel the heat of him through the thin material of his T-shirt.

His emerald green T-shirt.

"Did you notice we're matching?" I ask softly.

When Bryce's eyes meet mine, I look away shyly.

I can sense that he's still smiling that beautiful, adorable smile of his when he says, "Of course I did. It was the first thing I noticed when I saw you. Well, that and the fact that you somehow look even more beautiful then I remember you being."

I feel my cheeks flush a deep shade of red.

"Oh," I say. "Um, well, thank you, I guess."

Bryce's eyes twinkle. "No problem. I'm just telling the truth."

I blink up at him. "You really think I'm that beautiful?"

Bryce remains silent for a few moments, a troubled expression on his face.

And then he takes me by complete surprise by leaning down to gently kiss me on the tip of the nose.

"Yes. I do. Was that kiss okay?" he responds softly.

I blink, and then nod at him. "Yes. It was very much okay."

Bryce smiles at this. "I'm glad. How about. you put your arms around my neck, then."

I nod at him, and with a deep breath, I lift my arms up to drape around the back of Bryce's neck.

In this position, our faces are only a mere few inches apart. Bryce gives me a reassuring smile  and I smile back in response to hopefully look a little bit less nervous.

"I still don't really know how to dance, Bryce. I'm not good at it," I tell him shyly.

Bryce pauses. "You were just dancing with Knox, though," he says, as though he thinks I need to be reminded.