Chapter Sixty-Seven

Songs for this chapter:
• Dance To This - Troye Sivan ft. Ariana Grande

Chapter Sixty-Seven:

Lexi's POV

"I seriously haven't been to a club in . . . Well, in a long time. This is a very bizarre experience," I say, doing my best to raise my voice high enough that I can be heard over the booming bass of the music.

Knox gives my hips a gentle squeeze. He's had a protective arm around my waist since we reached the entrance of the club only a few minutes ago, as I'm sure I probably tensed up as memories of being drugged hit me like a truck.

"You'll be fine. It's fun. And what better way is there to celebrate the end of our first year of university than by clubbing?" Knox responds as we make our way through the club and towards the dance floor.

"I can think of many things I'd rather be doing. Watching a movie, reading, sleeping, working—" I begin to respond before Knox cuts me off with a hand clamped over my mouth.

"Nope. I don't want to hear it. This is going to be a fun night. Let's go dance," he says with a grin, slowly lowering his hand away from my mouth once he's done speaking.

I scowl at him. "Meanie."

He beams back. "Whiny."

At that, he takes both of my hands in his and guides me onto a less crowded area of the dance floor. His hands are automatically on my hips and I feel my body tense, my hands flying to grip his forearms.

Knox gives me a strange look. I'm genuinely surprised that I can hear his voice over the club's music when he says, "You can put your hands around my neck, Lexi. There's no need to be so tense. I'm not here to judge you."

At this, I stare down at my feet, unable to meet Knox's gaze.

I'm no longer wearing the silver sandals that I had originally put on. After Nathan took one look at me and said that I looked like a gladiator with my hair in a braid while wearing the sandals, Kennedy scowled at him and then had me swap out my sandals for a pair of plain silver stiletto heels.

Knox reaches for my chin, tilting my head upwards so that I'm forced to look him in the eye.

When I see the bright, flashing club lights reflecting in his pupils, I'm reminded of the reasons I hate clubs other than the fact that I have had terrible experiences at a club.

This environment is just not for me. It's too overwhelming. The pounding bass of the music is far too loud and the lights are far too bright and there are far too many sweaty bodies packed onto this dance floor.

I don't understand how this is a genuinely enjoyable experience for anybody, and I really don't understand why people would choose to spend their Saturday night here every week. I never really considered myself to be a true introvert, but I just don't find any joy in being in this environment with so many other people swarming around me.

"Little one? Is this too much for you? We can leave, if you'd like. We just need to let Kennedy and Nate know," Knox is suddenly saying, bending down so that his lips brush against my ear, making it easier for me to hear him.

Of course. Kennedy and Nathan went off together as soon as the four of us entered the club to God-knows-where.

I eventually work up the courage to respond to Knox. "Um, I'm okay. We can stay. I'm just nervous. I haven't been somewhere like this in awhile. And the last time I went to a club, it was with . . . him."