Chapter Three

Songs for this chapter:
• Like I'm Gonna Lose You - Meghan Trainor ft. John Legend
Liar - Camila Cabello

Chapter Three:

Bryce's POV

"I feel like I know you so well, but I don't feel like I can completely understand you. I wish I could comprehend how my actions truly make you feel," I whisper as Blossom huddles closer to me.

We're both only wearing sweatshirts despite the cold November weather, and so the only way that we're staying warm is by keeping close to one another.

"What do you want me to tell you about? I'm an open book," Blossom replies just as we pass by a small cafe.

We make eye contact for a moment, and we're able to have the silent agreement that a break from the weather would be nice. Because of this, we slip into the quaint cafe, being met with the smell of coffee and sweet baked goods.

Blossom orders a hot chocolate and I just get a plain coffee. She insisted that she didn't need anything to eat, but when I caught her eyeing the blueberry muffins in one of the display cases, I ordered one for each of us.

After receiving our drinks and muffins, Blossom beelined for the booth in the corner against a large window, giving us a great view of downtown New York.

Despite the fact that I want nothing more than to hold her in my arms, I decide to respect her by giving her some space, sliding into the side of the booth across from her.

"I want you to tell me about what went on when I was in Florida. I feel like I don't really . . . know," I finally answer her.

She sighs, raising her mug of hot chocolate to her lips. I can only assume that it must be scorching hot judging by the way she puckers her lips, quickly setting the mug down before taking a deep breath in.

"Okay. Let me think . . . You already know all about when I was kidnapped, and so I don't think I have to relive those memories right now. I guess middle school wasn't great. I really missed you. I cried a lot over it which was weird, as as you've said before, I was never really the type to cry. I guess that the heartbreak that you give me has changed that, though," Blossom says with a bittersweet smile on her face.

"I'm sorry. Fuck, I really am. I didn't want to move but I was thirteen and I couldn't fucking control it. I'm sorry for kissing you that day, too; if I had known that it would be such a big deal, I would've waited," I respond, watching as her eyes narrow at me.

"What the heck is that supposed to mean?" she asks. "Wasn't it obvious that it would be a big deal considering that we'd been in love for so long already? And we were just kids, Bryce! Everyone's first kiss is a big deal as is."

I watch as she pinches off a piece of muffin before popping it into her mouth, chewing slowly. She keeps her eyes trained on mine the entire time, only looking away to stare out the window.

I wish that I could change this. I wish that I had told her that I was moving to Florida the moment that I had found out, which would've saved her the sudden shock.

I wish that we had never even fucking moved in the first place, though.

I wish that I got to be by her side all through school. I wish that I was there for her after she had gotten kidnapped, because I know that she would've trusted me to talk with about it. I wish I could've held her as she cried and promised her that it would all be all right, that those people would never get to come close to her ever again

"How was high school?" I ask, and Blossom laughs.

Not a sweet, innocent giggle. It's a harsher sound with very little emotion behind it.