Chapter Sixty-Three: What Used to Be

“Whatever you’re thinking, stop thinking it.”

“I can’t,” I told him. “I’m still thinking it.”

“I can explain,” he assured me.

I leaned against the doorway. “Enlighten me then. Why exactly are you in my room?”

Bennett sighed then he turned around and began to walk to the window. He suddenly opened the window and stuck one foot out the window.

“Wait, are you going to jump? No, don’t jump! You’re too young!” I exclaimed.

He looked back at me. “What? No, I’m not going to jump. Why will you think that?”

“I hate to break this to you Bennett, but the exit is this way,” I said, pointing at the door.

“Let me show you something.”

Then he hopped out of the window. I raced to the window, expecting to hear the sound of his body smashing to the ground below. But then I saw he was outside, standing, on the fire escape. For a second there, I thought he pulled an Aladdin and was standing on a magic flying carpet. Knowing Bennett, he could have easily bought one.

“Stop thinking I’m going to jump,” he told me before holding his hand out to me. “Now c’mon, I think you’re going to like this.”

I asked him, barely holding my excitement. “Are you going to show me the world?”

He blinked. “What? No.”

“And that Bennett is how you destroy someone’s hopes,” I said as I took his hand.

He helped me onto the fire escape. This was the same fire escape Bennett shot Declan and Jordan with the paintball gun. I didn’t know that the fire escape was connected to my room. I thought it was connected to Declan’s room which was right next to mine. Bennett had me climb up the steps first, following right behind me. With one final step, I got on top of the roof of the building.

I was amazed of the view here, being able to see as much of the city as I did when I was on top of the billboard with Jordan. It wasn’t much, but the view says otherwise. I took a moment and took a deep breath, smiling at the small breeze. I turned back to Bennett who gave me a small smile. We both sat down at a tall ledge of the building, safe from accidentally falling to our deaths, and able to enjoy the view.

“I realize that we don’t talk often, just the two of us I mean,” Bennett said.

I thought about that. “Yeah, you’re right. You’ve always been the quiet one out of the three.” I paused and chuckled.

He glanced at me. “What is it?”

I tried to hold back a smile. “I was just thinking that people will think you’re an Avox when they first meet you.”

I didn’t get the chuckle I wanted. Instead, I just got a blank stare from him.

Hunger Games? Mute?”

Nope, nothing.

“Nevermind,” I waved off, though in the inside I felt like a total idiot, wasting the Hunger Games reference Jordan would’ve gotten. “But with you not talking a lot, you act all cool.”

“Cool,” he repeated. “Is that a bad thing?”

“No, of course not. I just wish you can open up to me- to us more.”

He was quiet for a moment before saying, “I’ll think about it.”

I smiled at that.

“Sorry for not telling you about this place,” Bennett told me. “I guess we wanted to keep it to ourselves while it lasted. Your room used to be empty and was mostly used for its connection to the roof,” Bennett explained to me. “When you got the room, we usually just use it when you’re not here.”