Chapter Forty-Four: -Bow Down to Jordan

"But I wanted to try it too," my mom whined as she spun in the rolling chair. "After your friends did it, I've been waiting for the chance to try it myself."

I looked at my dad in disbelief. "But you too?"

My dad gave a pathetic shrug. "She made me do it."

She shook my dad's shoulder. "Honey, let's do it again!" She said, barely containing her excitement.

He let out a sigh. "Yes, sweetie."

My mom fixed her top hat, monocle and fake mustache for a bit. Then the both of them spun their chairs, facing away from me. And repeating just what they did a few minutes ago, they spun their executive chairs towards me in unison. My mom stroke Snowball- the stuffed animal white cat –that rested on her lap.

"We've been expecting you," they said together.

Ladies and gentlemen, my parents.

"Where did those chairs come from? And mom, that stuff you're wearing looks like-"

"-mine, 'cause they are," Jordan said, leaning against the wall, appearing out of nowhere. He took a bite of a brownie, and then held it out to me. "Brownie?"

"No," I said, before pausing and saying, "I mean, not right now."

"That sucks," Jordan said, popping the rest into his mouth. "It's the last one."

My mom laughed. "My, you boys ate them all already? Good thing I made a second batch."

Jordan fist pumped the air. "Yes!"

Declan came out of the dining room, glaring at Jordan. "Why did you eat the last brownie for? That was my share."

"'Cause you didn't eat it," Jordan said with an eye roll. "And how would you know it was your share anyway?"

"There were 12 brownies, meaning four for each of us. Bennett ate his four, you already downed yours the first chance you got, but I only ate three, meaning you ate my last one."

"So he can count."

He raised his fist at Jordan. "I'm going to-"

"Declan, don't fight here in front of Mr. and Mrs. Lorraine," Bennett said, making him halt from punching the brownies out of Jordan. "Save your fighting for later." Then he turned to my mom with a small smile. "Thank you so much for the brownies, you must give me the recipe sometime."

"Oh, I will. Your mother would be delighted to get it from you."

That smile vanished off Bennett's face. "Yes, of course." He then cleared his throat. "I think I heard the oven, the brownies must be done."

 Her eyes widen in surprise. "They are? I didn't hear it. Well, you know what they say, time goes by when you're having fun." She emphasized that by giving another spin in the chair.

I question my genes sometimes.

"They'll be waiting for you in the dining room in a few minutes after cooling them off," she told them. "We wouldn't want another incident when Jordan got the brownies when they were still hot from the oven."

"I would," Declan said bluntly.

"Well to avoid something like that, how about I go and eat them with adult supervision? I doubt that-" Jordan was suddenly pulled back by Declan just as he was starting to walk towards the dining room. "Never mind."

They left to the kitchen, though my mom was a bit torn between taking Snowball with her or not. In the end she did, cooing over her and saying she'll give her a brownie. Yeah, I'm a bit worried about her sometimes.