Chapter Twenty-Six: Closer Than You Think

• Dedicated to The Rubix Cube Family

I paused from laughing, having to calm down a bit. "Wait, wait. Remember the time when one of you guys switched my soda with Red Bull?"

Parker laughed. "Oh yeah, I remember. We poured out the soda from the same can you bought in the vending machines and filled it with Red Bull. When you weren't looking someone, I think Blake, switched the sodas." He explained before taking a bite of his burger.

I laughed along with him. "The whole day, I couldn't sit still. I was literally shaking in my seat. I couldn't even hold my pencil right!"

Parker and I were eating in a local burger joint a few blocks from the school that kids rarely go. The last thing we want is for people to see a nerd and a jock socializing with each other much less get the wrong idea. I mean, it might possible for them to like each other in books or movies, but this is real life, remember? So we were sitting in a booth at the secluded corner of the joint. At first we planned to keep quiet voices, trying not to grab any attention. But we immediately forgot about it once we started talking. We always kept on laughing, turning a few heads towards us, but we ignored them.

For someone who bullied me for a number of years, he was actually a decent guy. He always did his best to make me laugh, which he did a lot. When I always talked, he'd listen attentively as if I was still tutoring him and he was listening to my explanation. And to be honest, now that I really see it he was pretty cute. The way his brown hair, a bit messed up bed hair at the front, some of the bangs hanging over his blue eyes. But now that I have a good look at them, it also had a tint of green on it, a bit of a sea green color. And how his charming smile always makes me-

I paused. What was I doing? Was I actually studying him? Actually (gulp) checking him out? I know I told him I forgave him and all. But we still had that history of bully and victim, jock and nerd. I was still wary of him, but Parker didn't seem to mind about that all. He talked to me like we were old friends, not minding about our history maybe because I told him I forgave him and he no longer has to feel guilty. And I don't think he has to. That shouldn't stop us from talking about something we have in common. The pranks he pulled and I fell for.

"I remembered in, I think," I paused to think about it, "either in my sophomore or junior year, I opened my locker and a bunch of paint balls shot at me."

"It was sophomore year," Parker told me, remembering this. "The guys all chipped in to rent a paintball gun. And we got a couple of nerds to set up the gun so when you open it, it would automatically hit you. Sorry about that."

I waved him off. "It's alright. I still have the shirt, actually, I even wear it sometimes. It gives of a... paintball theme, y'know?" The both of us laughed together.

"How about the time when someone put peanut butter on your seat in freshman year?" Parker asked me.

I groaned, but then laughed. "That was so embarrassing. I didn't notice until I sat down in my next class when I felt the squish. It looked like I crapped myself." I looked at him, glaring at him playfully.

Parker put his hands up in defense. "Hey, hey, it was Kaleb's idea. I swear!"

I nodded, taking a sip of my soda, the very same kind of soda on the prank. "Then who's idea was it to put itching power in my P.E shirt in junior year?"

Parker paused to think about it, taking a few french fries as he thought. "I think it was either Paul or his girlfriend Bella. I know for sure Bella was the one who put the itching powder."

"Yeah, I think she was," I said, thinking it over. "I remember her telling one of the teachers she forgot her combination, so they opened up her locker. What I didn't know was that the locker was actually mine. When I put my shirt back on, I couldn't stop scratching, I had a huge rash all over my body. When I tried to switch shirts, they snuck more powder on it as I took the other shirt off. The rest of the day I was wearing one of those huge hand me downs and covered with itching cream." I laughed at that. "At least I got to leave school early and didn't come back for a week."