Chapter Six: Strike One Strike Two

"Wait! Stop!"

I was racing down the sidewalk. My feet were pounding on the pavement at a steady rhythm. I was sweating, beads of water rolled down my face. My heart was pounding, harder with each second. I was gasping for air with each step, my lungs tiring out as it went.

"Please!" I begged. "Stop!"

I ditched the sidewalk and began to ride on the street. I ran past cars, and switched lanes earning a few honks and beeps. Some pissed off drivers stuck their heads out of their windows and yelled insults at how crazy I was. Maybe I was.

Who knew this was a typical morning of Naomi Lorraine.

I just had to keep up the pace. They'll have to stop at a red light sooner or later. But that was when I heard it. Just right in front of me, carried out of the windows, towards me.

It's Nerdy Naomi, Naomi Lorraine

Running for the bus, on the lane

Look how she runs, down the street

Too bad the bus is hard to beat.

I didn't have the energy to waste to roll my eyes. Great, they started singing it. The stupid little rhyme some kid made up in the bus. After that he got famous, and everyone chants it. It's a nursery rhyme starring me.

If you've finally realize, I'm chasing the bus.

Every morning, after I've dressed for school and ate a quick breakfast. I walked over to the spot where the school bus picks me up. Immediately then I take off my glasses then put on my running shoes and tie my hair back. It's then I notice a yellow blur coming down the street. Due to my bad eyesight of not being able to see far away, it would take a while before the blur forms into a school bus. Sometimes I like to imagine the bus would then slow down and stop right in front of me. The doors would open up for me, and I would be able to climb in and take a seat.

Like that would ever happen.

The bus would always zoom right past me. The wind would blow in front my face, I would accidentally inhale some of the black smoke of the bus, and would notice that trail of oil trailing from it. Then I'd start to run, sprint across the sidewalks. I've memorize every crack, rock, plant in my route after all those weeks, months, years I've ran after the bus.

Sometimes the bus would slow me down, giving me hope, but it would speed up again all of a sudden, crushing it. Other times it would stay in the same pace, having the kids place bets on how long I would last or when I would give up. T    Then there were those rare times the bus would stop for me. Of course, there must be good reason for it. Not like there was some nice kid who begged the bus driver to stop for me. Mostly it would be for some nice kid who wants a piece with me, I owe some school work to, or is waiting with a custard cream pie for me (long story short, I smelled like pie the rest of the week).

Suddenly I heard the wheels screech. The cars right next to me have also slowed down to a stop. I tried to slow down and stop, but I realized to late. I immediately rammed my face to the back of the bus. Everyone in the bus could have easily hear the loud thunk, and then I could hear the laughter in the bus. I heard the doors at the side of the bus open. I slumped my shoulders and walked to the side of the bus.

I was going to step into the bus, but the door closed right on the face. It opened up and tried again, but the doors closed right away. Finally the doors opened and I was let in. The bus driver used to be a senior in Dartwell High four years ago. Let's just say his dreams as a professional skateboarder were crushed and now he drove the bus for Dartwell High.