(book 2)Capitolo 13

A/N: Hi, Amores! I'm sorry for the late update. I was so busy that I didn't have time to update early. It's almost 10 pm here in France and I wanted to rest already but I chose to update first. 

PS: I made this chapter longer than usual, so enjoy! Anyway, I hope you like this chapter. Happy weekend!

🅰️💕Ⓜ️🅰️💕Ⓜ️🅰️💕Ⓜ️

MAXIMUS' POV

Hearing her question made me uneasy for a little bit but I knew for sure that I had to tell her the truth sooner or later anyway so might as well tell her now.

We're finally starting over again as a couple and she has the right to know. She was the one who served as my strength during those times after all.

I took a deep breath. "I left because...I had to. It was time for me to begin facing my enemies head-on but something happened. If that didn't happen to me, we wouldn't've been in this kind of situation. I would've surely defeated my enemies and I'm sure that we would've been married by now."

"What happened?" Athena asked curiously, her gaze never left mine.

"Just like what happened when I was still young, my enemies almost succeeded on killing me. That time, I really thought, I was already finished but I miraculously survived. To tell you the truth, I got the intel that my enemies would be bombing the palace just thirty minutes before it happened.

"Me and my men rushed there to try and stop that fùcking b*stard but I couldn't get there. I got careless and took only three of my men with me because I didn't want us to get any attention. Our mission was secret that's why I was confident that no one knew that we were on our way.

"But I was wrong. While we were on our way, three vehicles ambushed us. They suddenly blocked our way and then rained bullets on our car. Because my driver suffered a couple of shots, the vehicle crashed into the tree on the shoulder of the road.

"The remaining of us tried to fight back even though we were badly injured. I managed to call my men who were just nearby to serve as our backup but it was a little bit late already. While we were about to get out of the car, they shot our car with a grenade launcher.

"I saw that they were about to shoot us so I had the chance to jumped out of the car but I still suffered a burn on my back and a shot here on my shoulder. My men died. When I lose my consciousness, I was sure that I was already done for but I didn't even care about myself back there anymore.

"All I cared about was you. I knew that they wanted to kill all the members of the Royal Family that's why I was so scared for you. Just thinking back then that you were about to get hurt was too much for me. I wanted to get up and go to you but my body failed me.

"The last thing I remembered was your beautiful face. I knew that I called your name over and over again for sure because I blacked out. I thought that if I only knew that I would die that day, I would never have left you so that I could've the chance to save you and be together with you." I chuckled bitterly after that. Just remembering what happened to me back then brought me unexplainable emotions.

I really thought that I wouldn't've the chance to wake up and see Athena again but I was still lucky because I survived.

"Y-You mean, the big scar on your back was from that time?" Athena's voice was slightly shaking in shock. Her eyes brimmed with tears.

A sad smile appeared on my face. "Yes, mi hermosa, that's why I couldn't stop the bombing. I'm sorry because I got careless. I couldn't keep my promise to protect you. I miscalculated their plans. All of that happened because my enemies caught my intel after he discovered about their plan that's why he couldn't report back to me. He just managed to escape that's why he managed to contact me just thirty minutes before the bombing."