[ 38 ]

It had only occurred to Oliver he was tearing up when the lone liquid trickle down his cheeks. He quickly wiped it away with his robe and straightened up.

He should feel angry.

Angry at Kaylen for fooling him, angry at her for making him think they have something between. He should be mad Kaylen targeted him and Fred!

He should be angry at her right now.

But no, he felt broken. Empty. With the floating thought of him being nothing to her. It broke him to pieces.

He loved her.

Oliver cleared his throat. He had heard enough.

Kaylen betrayed his trust.

Even if she actually didn't.

Oliver knocked gently on the door, and the conversation stopped.

"Come in." Snape's voice inside said coldly. Oliver opened the door slowly, and entered, the essay parchment Neville wrote had crumpled from his grip.

Kaylen let out a faint gasp seeing Oliver at the door after their conversation.

He couldn't have heard anything, right? she asked internally.

"yes, Mr. Wood?" Snape said.

Oliver walked towards the professor stiffly, avoiding looking into Kaylen's direction, and preventing to share eye contact with her.

No...

He heard them, she knew that. Oliver avoided her gaze, his knuckles were gripping tightly on the parchment he was holding and his jaw was clenched.

He just heard them. Oliver heard Kaylen say the worst she didn't want him to hear. Even if her words were mere lies, she still feared he'd hate her.

No...

She couldn't let him do that. He avoided her. Like she wasn't standing there.

"I've come to give this to you, sir. Professor McGonagall told me to." Oliver explained with a clenched jaw.

He handed Snape the wrinkled essay parchment and the professor look at it disgustingly.

Oliver finally met gaze with Kaylen who particularly had her eyes widened in surprise. Oliver tried to mask away the anger and sadness inside. But with the feelings overflowing inside him, it was hard not to turn the stare into a glare.

Kaylen looked hurt. To see him look at her with pure dislike. She never meant to say those words around him. It was supposed to be only Snape who should hear that.

"Why is it all crumpled?" Snape asked coldly, looking at Neville's essay disapprovingly.

"I don't know! You tell me!" Oliver snapped, taking Kaylen aback at the tone of his voice but Snape didn't even flinch.

everything in the room was annoying Oliver out.

"That's ten points from Gryffindor Mr. Wood. Your dismissed." Snape concluded.

Oliver swore loudly under his breathe, giving the Hills girl one last death glare before stomping out of the room.

Kaylen wanted to follow him so badly.

"Sir, can I also go now?" she asked hastily and she didn't even gave time for Snape to nod before she sprinted out of the room, carrying her school bag on her shoulder hurriedly, and following after Oliver.

"Oliver! OLIVER!!" she shouted at Oliver's retreating figure, and she quickly made a run for it.

"Oliver! Wait-"