jang seulchae ;; better days .

" i think i have superpowers . "

early in the morning , chae presented her conspiracy theory to xiaoxiao , who remained nonchalant and suspicious .

" why ? did a spider bite you or something ? did someone inject some serum into you that turned you into a beefcake ? were you from an alien planet and discovered you have eyes that shoot lasers ? "

" no ! i just ... well ... "

the girl in black gave her one serious look .

" spill . "

" okay , so this morning , i was really craving for pepsi , but the school cafeteria was too far away and i didn't wanna walk there , so i just stood there and kinda prayed for a bottle of pepsi to appear in front of me . and then , three seconds later , a bottle of pepsi fell from above and hit me in the head . "

" no wonder your iq decreased by ninety percent ever since you entered class . " xiaoxiao scoffed .

" i'm serious ! " chae insisted , " this is too big of a coincidence to be a coincidence ! "

" chae , i love you , bestie , but sometimes , you need to get your head out of your ass . just because you prayed for pepsi and some twerp dropped their pepsi from the second floor doesn't mean you're jesus or something . "

" but what if i am ?! "

——————— ( ten days later ) ———————

obviously , chae wanted to prove herself , but xiaoxiao wasn't interested at all . the moment the recess bell rang , the latter grabbed her jacket and zipped out of class like a track runner when she was the one who whined nonstop about running during pe .

" huh , that justin guy really got her wrapped around his pinky finger . "

chae decided to head to the cafeteria alone . that day , they were selling mini cupcakes — the little dainty ones with sweet cream and sprinkles on it and heavenly chocolate filling . it always sold out within five minutes and anyone who got their hands on a box could consider themselves lucky as fuck .

she decided to test her so - called " superpowers " once again .

arriving at the front of the queue after what seemed like eternity , she flashed her best smile at the lunch lady .

" sorry , girl , cupcakes are sold out . "

oop .

sighing , she walked out . some other people in the queue walked out too , after hearing what the lady told her .

at the entrance of the cafeteria , an idea sparked through her head .

what if my superpowers only work when i don't get what i want ?

pressing her hands together , closing her eyes , chae began praying with all her might :

minicupcakesminicupcakesminicupcakesminicupcakesminicupcakesminicupcakesminicupcakesmi—

a loud PLOP interrupted her prayer . she opened her eyes and looked down .

and to her surprise , a box of rather flattened mini cupcakes was lying on the floor in front of her .

just like the pepsi .

she picked it up and brushed the dust off the cover , then unwrapped it . apart from being flattened by gravity , the mini cupcakes were still edible , sweet and very much a source of happiness , which made her entire day .

" maybe i do have superpowers after all ! "

—————— ( three days later ) ——————

" chae , you gotta stop bluffing ! " xiaoxiao reprimanded suspiciously , " no one has superpowers ! we don't live in the mcu ! "

" yeah , but how do you explain all these coincidences ?! the pepsi was fine , but the cupcakes ? and the fact that they both fell out of nowhere ? it'd have to be a miracle , and even then , it'd be a miracle i made ! "

the former shrugged , looking away from her bestie . as she glanced around the cafe they were currently studying in , a devious idea formed in her head .

" how about you prove it to me right now ? "

" huh ? " chae was beyond confused .

" wish for your crush to appear in front of you , maybe with a hydrating mask , too , since you keep complaining that your skin is getting dryer and dryer because of winter . "

it was a good idea . no , screw that , it was a great idea . she immediately pressed her hands together and closed her eyes , then began chanting his name ceremoniously under her breath .

seokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseokminseok—

" u-uh , chae ? "

" HOLY SHIT ! " both girls hollered at the same time , startling a few customers in the cafe . " IT WORKED ?! "

yes it did . seokmin was standing there , a box of hydrating masks peeking out of his backpack .

" here , " he took them out and handed it to her , " you said your skin is drying up these days . "

she accepted it , eyes wide with surprise and joy . " how ... how did you ... "

" oh , and uh ... did you like the cupcakes ? and pepsi ? "

that question took her aback even more .

how did he know ? when did he see ... ? wait , what if he's ... ?!

realisation dawned on her , just as he leaned in and whispered into her ear with a goofy smile etched on his face :

" my superpower is loving you . "