hae moonyoung ;; when we were young.

" never open your heart easily because
once you open it, you can't close it again. "

.
.
.
.
.

" stop flexing, moonyoung, no one cares ! " yongtae laughed as he scooted away from the girl to avoid getting a beatdown. he half expected her to start screaming and take off her expensive gucci slipper and did what she always did— give him a beatdown, but it didn't happen.

instead, she just stood there, stunned.

and walked out of the class.

were those tears on her cheeks ? was that a sob he just heard.

shit. he fucked up.

yuta gave him a kick before rushing out of the class, his heart rate skyrocketing as he frantically chased after moonyoung, extremely worried about her. it wasn't the first time he'd dealt with sudden breakdowns like this, and he knew the consequences that would happen if he didn't take matters into his own hands.

" moonyoung-ah ! " he grabbed her wrist. trying to stop her from walking away, but she shook it off and continued hurrying down the stairs.

" moonyoung ! listen to me ! " he tried again, keeping his grip tighter this time.

" no ! shut up ! " the girl yelled, annoyance and anger evident in her voice as she tried to shake his vice-like grip away but to no avail. " just leave me be ! i know you hate me flexing anyway ! "

" what— i don't— look, yongtae was just being dumb, okay ? he didn't mean it ! "

" oh yeah ? what about you ? " moonyoung turned around to face him, her chin tilted upwards arrogantly in a futile attempt to salvage whatever ego she had left so no one would mock her for being hurt.

" what about me ? i— "

" i know you're not as rich as me. i know how jealous you are. i know how fucking angry you are every time i bring my expensive shit to school. i know how much you wanted to m-mock me when yongtae did, and maybe laugh along with what he did, m...maybe tell me how i'm such... such an embarrassing, spoilt brat and that i-i-i deserve to be laughed at, and... and that i'm a f-fucking clown for... for thinking... "

without knowing, moonyoung was already bawling her eyes out. tears streamed down her cheeks, smearing her perfectly winged eyeliner and washing away her evenly applied foundation. her eyes were red and blotchy from all the crying, and the lump in her throat made it hard to form words. all she could do was squat down and bury her face into her arms and sit there and cry and—

and she was pulled into a hug.

yuta's embrace felt warm to the touch. just enough to shield her from the cold hearts of society and the burning gazes of people who wanted to see her embarrass herself. just enough to give her a small space where she could take her mask off and truly, truly be herself.

he didn't say a word.

but the hug told her everything.

the two of them sat on the stairs for quite sometime, with her leaning on his shoulders, still sobbing uncontrollably. he had his arm around her, gently rubbing soothing circles on her back in an effort to stop her from feeling too bad while she was crying. he even lent her the towel he broughg whenever he played basketball (which might've been used before, seeing that he had a game with san and xuxi before he arrived, but let's not talk about that).

the sobs that echoed through the stairwell turned into sniffles. and the sniffles turned into silence.

pretty soon, moonyoung found herself leaning heavily against yuta, with no desire to get back up at all. he seemed to have noticed that her emotions were stabler now, which explained why he stopped rubbing circles on her back, but he still let her lean on him with no intentions of getting up and going back into class.

so the two of them continued sitting there, in silence this time, enjoying the blissful peacefulness that was oh so very rare.

perhaps they enjoyed it a little too much.

to the point where moonyoung was already falling asleep on his shoulder, and he was leaning sideways against the wall, probably already asleep too.

but before she completely fell asleep, she could almost swear...

she could almost swear she felt a kiss on her forehead.

" your past is a weight i am willing to bear with you.
your future is a privilege i am honoured to have. "