jang seulchae ;; better days.

" a sky full of stars and he was looking at her. "

.
.
.
.
.

watching seokmin play basketball was a daily routine of chae's. she had started visiting him at the gym since who knows when, long before they started dating, and honestly, it was all habit by now.

she took out the two gatorade bottles she's prepared beforehand and placed them on the seat beside her, then took her and jeon's homework out and began copying it at top speed. the sound of basketballs bouncing and shoes squeaking against the floor rise and fell here and there like background music.

xiaoxiao sat down beside her, putting her feet up on the seat at the bottom row. she began unwrapping a lollipop as she chatted her best friend up. " so, how's things going with seokmin ? "

" i could ask the same thing about you and justin. " chae replied, not even looking up from her math homework.

" no, i'm serious. you guys... no offence, but you guys look like y'all been through a huge fight. "

chae plopped her pen down and sighed heavily. she closed the two books and stuffed them back into her backpack, then sighed again. " we're not having a fight, it's just... you know... we treat each other like this. we've always done so. "

" exactly ! " xiaoxiao bit down on her lollipop a little too hard, emitting a rather painful crack that caused her to wince. even so, she didn't swerve her attention away from the topic.

" you guys don't look like a couple at all. " she continued, " it's like y'all are still bros. and that's not okay. "

" i just.... " chae scooched closer to her friend and lowered her voice, " i don't wanna seem clingy. i mean... what if... he doesn't like me that way ? "

" are you for real ? he confessed to you in front of all the boys in our class with a huge bouquet of roses and nicely planned shit ! he doesn't like you, chae, he fucking loves you ! "

" no, but... "

to be honest, chae knew that. but somehow, she refused to believe it. her and seokmin, they've been bros for years, and she just couldn't see herself dating him. kissing him. hugging him. celebrating anniversaries. buying presents for each other.

probably because she kept telling herself that she wasn't worth it. she wasn't worth the attention. she wasn't the best girl in the world. she didn't deserve someone as amazing as him. he deserved someone better.

he deserved the world.

not her.

" hello, earth to chae ? " xiaoxiao waved a hand in front of chae, snapping her back into reality, dragging her away from a surging river of insecure thoughts.

" y-yeah ? "

" you wanna know if he loves you ? "

" uh... yes ? "

xiaoxiao fished her phone out of her pocket and showed her a post on instagram. it was all in chinese, but she translated it for her.

" boys instinctively look at the girl they like when they score a point or answer a question correctly or do something that they deem great. " she read aloud.

" so... ? "

" wait for it. when he scores a point, look at his reaction. if he instinctively looks at you and smiles, that's it. marry him. " xiaoxiao grinned.

before chae could respond to that, she stood up and headed away. " bye, i'm off to find justin ! "

that left said girl speechless and panicked. she didn't know what to do at all. was she actually supposed to just sit there and wait for seokmin to score a point just to prove that he loves her ? was she actually going to believe a random instagram post that was in a language she didn't even understand ?

oh, fuck it.

she waited for him every day.

she just had to pay extra attention.

so, instead of pulling her earphones out and drowning herself in music, chae began to immerse herself in the basketball match happening in front of her. she watched as hansol passed the ball to mingyu and ran off to block seungkwan from attacking, then shifted her gaze to chan, who was lying on the floor, pretending he got shot.

then came her chance.

seokmin got the ball from mingyu, who was (in her opinion) too lazy to make the shot. he ducked out of jeonghan's reach and jumped up, tossing the ball straight at the hoop.

the ball went straight through the net with a satisfying whoosh.

" YES ! " hansol, mingyu, chan and wonwoo cheered loudly as they ran around the basketball court like they were doing a home run.

chae's eyes met seokmin's. she saw him break into a cheesy grin as he waved excitedly at her and pointed at the hoop, silently telling her that he just scored.

and in that moment, she felt so loved.

she did deserve him.

after all, she was his world.

// yes i am aware i haven't written oneshots for eunrae, hyeji, gabi, heesoo and chanseong but seokchae best couple wbk //