Lin's Song

December 2021

"Boys?" I carefully questioned after having returned from the company and slowly entered the living room, where they all sat playing some game.

"You're home~" Jake happily cooed and I nodded at them.

"Mhm..." I slowly hummed.

"You good?" he questioned making Heeseung pause the game as they all turned to me.

"Can I ask for your opinion on something?" I questioned making them all eagerly nod. I let out a small sigh before  pulling out my phone and walking over to sit down on my knees by the tea table.

"Is it one of your songs?" Jungwon's face imediately lit up and I slowly nodded at him, "finally! When will you begin producing songs for us?"

"I'm not comfortable enough in Korean yet," I shook my head at him making his smile immediately drop from his face, "but I really want to make a song for a future album... just when I'm more used to Korean."

"Yeah, yeah," Sunoo waved it off before rushing over and and sitting down beside me, "now show us!"

"It's really not that good... and it's only a demo for now... and-" I started making Jay abruptly cut me off.

"Oh please! We all know what to expect from you... pure perfection!" he reminded making me let out a small laugh before just nodding and placing my phone on the middle of the table before hesitating to press the play button.

"It's in English," I pointed out and they all just nodded at me.

"Hurry noona!" Niki complained at me making me smile at him before starting the song.

I slowly leaned back on my knees before falling down on my butt on the floor making Sunoo immediately reach over and wrap an arm around my waist and pulled me into his side as he just sat with closed eyes, like all the other boys.

I smiled softly at the sight before leaning my head on Sunoo's shoulder, quietly listening to the song. A few of the boys opening their eyes at the instrumental part before the last chorus. Once the last chorus finished I reached over and stopped my phone from restarting the song.

"So...?" I questioned as the boys all opened their eyes once again.

"Absolutely beautiful," Sunoo assured and pressed a kiss to my temple, making me softly smile at him.

"It's a really pretty song," Jungwon nodded in agreement.

"I would've skated to it if I still was competing," Sunghoon nodded making me smile at their compliments.

"Can I... Can I ask what it is about?" Jake questioned carefully making me just nod at him, "can you tell us?"

"It's about how... it was growing up... with a sick mom," I nodded glancing at my phone before looking back up at him, "describing the thoughts and feelings of a five year old."

"Hug her will you? Sunoo?" Jay complained making Sunoo immediately wrap both his arms tightly around me making me let out a small laugh.

"It's fine," I quickly assured the boys, "I just wanted this song to be the first I produced."

"The first verse... can you uhm... explain it?" Jake questioned and I nodded at him.

"So my mom's disease made her have behavioral changes, and she always had these really bad changes where she would scream and yell at everything. So everytime one of these times came I was always told to walk to my room and listen to music on my MP3," I smiled softly, "so yeah... I actually still have the MP3... I can't seem to get rid of it... I think it reminds me of her," I admitted before looking down before letting out a small laugh as I felt stinging in my eyes, "ah, why am I suddenly getting affected by this?" I complained and quickly closed my eyes tightly as I let out a small laugh.

"It's generally just about your mom, isn't it?" Heeseung questioned and I nodded making Sunoo immediately pull me over in his lap and brush some hair out of my face.

"I think you should release it right now," Jay stated making me look to him, "I think the Engenes will like it."

"I wanted to release it on her death day," I shook my head at him.

"When's that?" Jungwon questioned making me let out a small laugh.

"The 24th," I admitted and he widened his eyes at me and I just nodded.

"Right at Christmas?" he gasped and I nodded at him.

"But it's fine... she had really deteriorated the weeks up until..." I assured with a small smile, "it was the best."

"Ah... that's why you don't like Christmas that much!" Heeseung clapped his hands together.

"It's not that I don't like it... it's just a weird time for me," I shrugged in defense.

"Matter of the fact is... you should release it," Sunghoon stated and I just nodded at him, "it's a really good song and the Engenes deserve to hear it."

"And learn your story through that," Jake nodded in agreement.

"Thank you," I smiled softly at them.

"Can we hear it again?" Sunoo questioned making me let out a small laugh before finding the file on my phone again and playing the song once more.

Sunoo immediately let out a small hum before placing his chin on my shoulder and just smiling fondly as he closed his eyes once again. I smiled widely at him before reaching up and ruffling his hair making a small giggle escape his lips.

The song soon finished once again and Sunoo immediately opened his eyes as the boys started their game again.

"Lily?" Sunoo muttered making me hum as I turned off my phone, "can you sing me to sleep tonight?"

"Why?" I questioned in amusement.

"I really like your voice... it's nice and calming," he excused making me smile at him before just nodding.

"Okay... what do you want me to sing?" I questioned him as I turned my head to look at him properly.

"This song," he stated and tapped the screen of my phone, "it's my new favorite song."

"Really?" I questioned and he happily nodded before leaning forward and placing a small peck on my nose.

"Absolutely adorable," Jake giggled making me look up at him as he just sat with a wide grin and watched us.

"But I really do like that song," Sunoo stated making me look back to him as he happily just nodded at me, "it's perfect for you and your voice... I just really love it."

"Thank you," I whispered making him just happily giggle as he tightened his grip around me and let us fall to the side on the floor and just happily hugged me in a heap of loads of giggles as he just snuggled his head into the crook of my neck.