Chapter 6: The Cold Springs

Lan WangJi sighed, staring at the door in front of him. He counted to three, before opening the door and taking in the absolute mess. Wei WuXian had snuck in Emperor's Smile once again and Lan WangJi had seen him. He had warned the boy he'd need to be punished, even bringing up the fact that if his Uncle were to find out, the punishment would be worse. The young master had not taken him seriously and at some point, they both had fallen over the wall and broke curfew.

This of course, was both intentional and not intentional on Lan WangJi's part.

Now, it was the following morning and the two of them had to be hit with a ruler. He saw a few of the disciples panic upon seeing him, including Nie Huaisang.

"Wei-xiong! Wei-xiong!" Nie Huaisang hissed and Lan WangJi glanced over at the male, who was still asleep and babled nonsense.

"Jiang Cheng...I already won!"

Lan WangJi moved his eyes towards Jiang Cheng, who was in a similar situation and extremely hung over. The Jade was not too surprised there. Jiang Cheng groaned, holding his head and grabbing something off the floor, chucking it at Wei WuXian, "Shut up!"

The book was one of the picture books and Lan WangJi could see Nie Huaisang's complexion turn even whiter. Lan WangJi walked over to Wei WuXian, picking up the male and walking out of the room. The commotion had woken up the other disciples, including Jiang Cheng, who was very confused why Lan WangJi was carrying his brother.

"Lan Zhan?" Wei WuXian spoke, more awake now.

Lan WangJi glanced down towards him, "We have to get punishment,"

"We?" Wei WuXIan repeated, eyes wide awake now.

Lan WangJi placed Wei WuXian on his feet, but held his hand and tugged him along, "Yes, we. I must give myself punishment as well,"

"E-eh? Lan Zhan, you don't need to get punished!" Wei WuXian spoke with an upset and panicked look, "Lan Zhan! La- are those rulers?!"

They had entered the ancestral hall in the Lan Sect where there were eight older disciples waiting. Four of them were holding long and large rulers with the Lan Sect rules carved into them. Lan WangJi nodded and whispered, "The strikes will hurt...there's a place I will take you to heal after,"

Wei WuXian stared at Lan WangJi as if he had grown two heads. When they got to the front, Lan WangJi released Wei WuXian, two disciples coming forward and holding the senior disciples down so he couldn't struggle in the half kneel pose.

"Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, you don't need to-"

Lan WangJi dropped to his knees, cutting the younger off with a command, "Strike!"

The disciples that had followed them were not allowed into the hall, but when they saw the disciples strike Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian, plus Wei WuXian's howls of pain. The sound made Lan WangJi clench his fists in his robes, keeping his back up right. For him, he had been whipped 33 times and bed ridden. The hundred strikes of the discipline ruler felt almost like nothing.

But to Wei WuXian, it was different. He had never been disciplined like this before. Or perhaps he had, Lan WangJi wasn't too sure. After about 30 strikes in, Wei WuXian's howls quieted down into grunts and suppressed noises.

When the punishment was over, Lan WangJi stood up perfectly fine, glancing at Wei WuXian who was released from the hold. The younger curled forward in pain, groans and moans passing from his lip. Lan WangJi bowed to the disciples, who took the message to excuse themselves.

The eight disciples left the two and Lan WangJi crouched beside We WuXian, "Wei Ying, I apologize,"

Wei WuXian shook his head, letting him know it was fine, contrary to his actions. Lan WangJi grabbed Wei WuXian's arms, pulling him up to stand and internally cringing at the whimper. Before he could say more, Lan WangJi heard his name being hissed with venom.