Chapter 34: The Early Stages of War - part I

Jiang Cheng let out a deep sigh, as he glanced around, confirming his brother was lost again. He was going to stick by the boys side, but he had to let Wei WuXian and Wen Ning meet. Jiang Cheng walked around the open area, disciples waiting for the competition to start and talking with one another. Jiang Cheng was about to go find Nie Huaisang, when he heard his brother, "A-Cheng!"

"There you are!" Jiang Cheng looked at him, "Where were you?"

"I got lost and this nice young master Wen helped me out," Wei WuXian grinned, but his eyes were searching the area.

Jiang Cheng sighed, already knowing who the older man was searching for. So, reluctantly, he grabbed the boy's shoulders and made him turn in the direction of the GusuLan Sect disciples. Lan WangJi was talking with Lan Xichen, the brothers standing out from the rest of the white robed cultivators.

Wei WuXian beamed and he yelled, "Lan Zhan!!!!"

Lan WangJi and Lan Xichen both looked in their direction as Wei WuXian hurried towards them, Jiang Cheng following with a small smile. Lan WangJi stepped forward, catching the male who jumped at him and mumbling fondly, "Wei Ying!"

Any disciples nearby gaped.

"Good grief," Jiang Cheng sighed, sharing a look with Lan Xichen.

"Lan Zhan, have you got taller? Or is that you're more handsome now, hm?" Wei WuXian teased.

Lan WangJi shrugged and then hardened his gaze, gently flicking Wei WuXian's forehead, "Are you okay? You fainted a few days ago,"

Wei WuXian looked shocked, "How did-" he then looked at Jiang Cheng with a glare.

"Don't look at me, that was completely your fault for being stupid," Jiang Cheng defended.

Lan Xichen chuckled, "A-Zhan wanted to fly to Lotus Pier when I told him,"

"W-what?" Wei WuXian exclaimed, turning his attention back to his partner.

"Mn," Lan WangJi admitted, "Are you okay?"

Wei WuXian nodded, but then whined, "No, actually! I'm not okay at all!"

Lan WangJi's eyes widened with concern and he quickly took the other's hand, speaking worriedly, "What's wrong? Are you unwell?"

"Yes, I'm unwell! Er-Gege, do you know how hard it was after you left?" Wei WuXian demanded, "It was so difficult to sleep without you singing to me, so mean Gege! How could you let me suffer like this, hm?"

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes and Lan Xichen chuckled. The two brothers were both amused and keeping their ears trained on the surrounding whispers of disciples watching the scene. Lan WangJi's worry vanished into amusement, a small smirk on his lips.

Wei WuXian saw it and gasped, "You- you're actually smug about this!"

"Mn," Lan WangJi hummed, "Happy,"

"Happy? Happy about what?" Wei WuXian laughed and then whined playfully, "Lan-Er-Gege, you have to make it up to me! Making me lose sleep because I missed you,"

Lan WangJi glanced towards their brothers and then around them, before making a choice. He hummed, pulling the boy close and placing a soft kiss on the top of his head.

Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen both felt their eyes widen and the disciples around all gasped or choked.

Wei WuXian glanced up surprised, "You-"

"Missed Wei Ying," Lan WangJi spoke softly, with a small smile.

Wei WuXian smiled brightly and giggled joyfully. Lan WangJi smiled at the sound. All the disciples, including the brothers, looked towards the sound of a drumming, signaling all the Sect's to line up and prepare for the beginning of the competition.