Chapter 16: Twin Prides

The next seven months went by as Jiang Cheng recalled them, except for the few changes of his brother being around. Wei WuXian did cause trouble, of course he did, but he didn't cause major trouble. Lan WangJi made sure Wei WuXian didn't do something too awful.

Speaking of the couple, Lan WangJi and Wei WuXian spent lots of time with one another. Jiang Cheng had stopped questioning where his brother would disappear off to, knowing he was most likely with Lan WangJi. And frankly, after walking in on them making out multiple times, he's had enough of trying to think otherwise.

Lan WangJi and Jiang Cheng also spent time together - reluctantly. They did it when Wei WuXian was assigned a punishment or busy elsewhere. Then, the two would go to the JingShi and work in silence, writing on scrolls to make sure all the main events were covered and important details wouldn't be forgotten as the years would pass.

The first thing that had been touched was Jin Guangyao. Lan WangJi obviously wanted to save his brother from getting involved with the male, who was currently Meng Yao, which meant that he had to make sure Lan Xichen had no reason to run away when the Wen's would attack Cloud Recesses. Jiang Cheng gave a few suggestions on how to prevent it, saying things such as hiding away the important scrolls and placing barriers around every building to avoid the flames.

Grudgingly he also mentioned how Wei WuXian would probably go feral if he found out Lan WangJi broke his leg and the Cloud Recesses was attacked...and then go even more panicked when he would learn about Lan HuiLang's death and Lan Xichen's vanishment, because- Wei fucking WuXian has managed to, not only court the second Jade of Lan, but become almost best friends with his lovers father and older brother.

It was safe to say that this fact caused Lan WangJi to stare at him for a solid minute.

Lan WangJi was also trying to fix his relationship with his family. He and his brother have spent time with their Father, learning and growing closer and closer. Occasionally Lan Qiren would join them for family tea time and Lan WangJi would try and talk to his Uncle, only to get slightly dejected when he got stern answers and statements like, "You should ask your father or brother"

Lan Xichen and Lan HuiLang had picked up on the situation, also trying to help their younger brother's and slowly, very, very slowly, it was working. Not that the effect was noticeable.

Today, however, was the last day of lectures. The day when all the guest disciples would return back to their homes. Wei WuXian and Jiang Cheng both graduated with high scores, unlike Nie Huaisang who graduated by a few marks, but was more joyful that he did not need to come back again.

Jiang Cheng was also relieved he didn't have to worry about lectures and classes he had already taken, but he was also feeling heavy in his gut. He would be returning to Lotus Pier. The Lotus Pier before the Wen's had burned it down. Where all his shidi's were still alive. Where his parents were still alive. Where his sister was still alive...where his brother still lived.

Wei WuXian and Jiang Cheng had also grown closer during the lectures, thus the older had easily picked up that something was bothering the Sect heir. He silently helped, distracting Jiang Cheng for the last week and making him laugh more than usual. He had also talked to Lan WangJi about the predicament, the jade not too surprised, but also unable to tell Wei WuXian the proper reasons.

So, the morning when the two brothers were packing their things, Wei WuXian observed his shidi silently. Jiang Cheng was packing slowly, eyes slightly dazed over and back stiff. Usually, it was Jiang Cheng who finished packing first, but today it was Wei WuXian. Frowning, Wei WuXian walked over to Jiang Cheng's side of the room and began to help.

"A-Cheng,"

"Mhm?"

"What's wrong?" Wei WuXian asked kindly.