Chapter 23: Siblings of All Kind

Jiang Cheng was not to be pissed off and everyone at Lotus Pier knew. Shockingly, the day after Wei WuXian almost fainted and the Sect Heir went scrambling for his fool of a Mother (who he does love, but also has the biggest urge to cringe and facepalm whenever she speaks) he found out Yu ZiYuan was not in Lotus Pier. She had gone back to Meishan Yu to visit her family and sister's for a while.

When Jiang Cheng heard this, he was angry, his rage and protectiveness of his brother coming out in such waves that the poor servant girl had begun to shake. But then, then.

It processed.

His Mother wasn't at Lotus Pier.

She wouldn't be back until the last day of the Twin Jade's visit.

Jiang Cheng spun and dashed back to Wei WuXian's room, opening the door with such force that everyone in the room jumped. His sister and Lan Xichen had returned with a tray with some soup and bowls, Wei WuXian and the Jade's already eating.

"Didn't you just-"

"She's gone," Jiang Cheng stopped Wei WuXian, who blinked blankly.

"Who's gone?" Lan Xichen raised an eyebrow.

"Mother. She went to Meishan and won't be back for a week," Jiang Cheng informed.

There were a few moments of silence before Wei WuXian suddenly gasped, realization and understanding leaking onto his face. The two Yunmeng brother's suddenly grinned and Jiang Yanli only muttered, "Oh dear, I thought they matured,"

"Madam Yu isn't here, Lan Zhan, do you know what that means?" Wei WuXian beamed brighter than ever and Lan WangJi shook his head.

"It means, we're free! I mean, of course A-Xian and I can handle regular training and I can help Father with a few things, but he would never deny us the free time," Jiang Cheng took a bowl his sister had just served.

Jiang Yanli grinned as well, "You'll have more time to spend with one another,"

The three siblings all looked at the couple, Lan WangJi who was blushing lightly and Wei WuXian who was grinning madly, "Lan Zhan, we can go pick Lotus Seeds!!"

"Mn,"

Lan Xichen smiled softly at Jiang Yanli, "I can help you in that cultivation stuff more now, if you'd prefer?"

"Cultivation stuff?" Jiang Cheng raised an eyebrow.

"It was WangJi's idea," Jiang Yanli smiled, placing a gentle hand on her brother's shoulders.

"Ah? But you can't..." Wei wuXian trailed off awkwardly.

"You're right, I'm too weak to do swordsmanship, but there are other forms of cultivation such as the Lan Sect's music cultivation," Jiang Yanli explained, "WangJi heard about my inability and suggested I try other forms of cultivation, such as healing, music, more gentler types,"

Wei WuXian and Jiang Cheng both looked at Lan WangJi astonished. Lan WangJi saw their gaze and clarified, "Sister Jiang had been curious about music cultivation when she found me and Huan Ge playing our instruments. She felt the effects and asked much about it, so I recommended it,"

Jiang Cheng knew there was more to it. While Wei WuXian beamed, wrapping his arms tightly around Lan WangJi and blabbering compliments, Jiang Cheng remembered the bloodbath at Nightless City. How his sister was already weak from grieving and birth, added with a slash on her back. She barely stood a chance when she shoved Wei WuXian out of the way, taking the sword and leaving her child an orphan.

Jiang Cheng remembered seeing Lan WangJi run towards them when his brother finally lost control, losing Jiang Yanli threw him over the edge. He had lost everyone...and Jiang Cheng had indirectly killed him in his own grief.