Chapter 22: Worrying Habits

Jiang Cheng walked towards the training field with quick strides to the point he was almost running. When he caught sight of his brother, sweat glistening in the late afternoon sun, chest falling and rising unevenly, he gasped lightly. Jiang Cheng looked at the older male beside him, "How long?"

Lan Xichen gave him a solemn look, "I am unsure...a few disciples informed me they saw him like this over two hours ago..."

Jiang Cheng cursed, walking onto the field. As he got closer, he could see the exhaustion leaking through the cracks of his brother's armor. His arms were shaking slightly, muscles strained by both heat and overexertion. He burst into a dash when his brother's balance failed him and he began to tumble to the floor. Jiang Cheng grabbed him quickly, ignoring the way Suiban weakly fell to the floor.

"A-Cheng?" Wei WuXian croaked and Jiang Cheng scowled at how tough it was for the older to simply say his name.

Jiang Cheng looked over at Lan Xichen, who quickly walked over and helped Jiang Cheng force Wei WuXian to sit down. Once he was on the grass, Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen both crouched on either side of him.

"A-Xian, what are you doing still training when you look ready to faint?!" Jiang Cheng yelled.

"I'm fine," Wei WuXian grinned with a small laugh, "It's just the sun making me sweat,"

"WuXian, you're barely staying awake," Lan Xichen spoke calmly.

Wei WuXian pouted, "I'm completely fi-"

Jiang Cheng gave a harsh slap on Wei WuXian's back, the older shutting up and lurching forward much more than he should. Jiang Cheng frowned bitterly, helping Wei WuXian sit properly again, "You wanna try and lie again?"

Wei WuXian grimaced, glaring at Jiang Cheng slightly before sighing in defeat. His body slumped and the older sect heir quickly grabbed Wei WuXian's wrist, checking his pulse and the strength of his golden core. Lan Xichen frowned and looked at Jiang Cheng, "He's exhausted. If WuXian wasn't as strong as he is, he would've fainted a while back,"

Jiang Cheng's eyes widened and he scowled deeply, "A-Xian! Why were you still training?!"

Wei WuXian looked at him weakly and then away, shaking his head, "Wanted to,"

"Bullshit," Jiang Cheng seethed, standing up and grabbing Suiban.

He sheathed his brother's sword, swinging one of Wei WuXian's arms over his shoulders. Lan Xichen helped the two boys stand, Wei WuXian being forcefully supported by Jiang Cheng as they walked towards the senior disciple's room, "Xichen-Ge, could you find WangJi and A-Jie and come to A-Xian's room?"

Lan Xichen nodded and split from them. Wei WuXian looked at Jiang Cheng eyes wide, "Call him back! Don't tell Lan Zhan or Shijie! They'll worry about me!"

Jiang Cheng's eyes darkened. He quickened his pace, kicking open the door to his brother's room and forcing Wei WuXian to sit on the edge of the bed. He then grabbed Suiban and placed it to the side, "Now, tell me...why were you training for so long?"

Wei WuXian tried to stand up, but Jiang Cheng pushed him back to sit again. The older sighed and spoke, "This isn't a big deal A-Cheng. I train all the time,"

"Yeah, but you would have fainted!" Jiang Cheng exclaimed.

"As if I haven't before," Wei WuXian grumbled and Jiang Cheng blinked for a few seconds before remembering their childhood.

"Wei WuXian, A-Jie made us soup!" a much, much, younger Jiang Cheng called, walking into his martial brother's bedroom.

He frowned seeing it empty and left. Jiang Cheng hummed confused, going towards the Ancestral Hall to check if the boy had been punished by his Mother again. When he wasn't there, Jiang Cheng pursed his lips and headed towards his sister's room, seeing if Wei WuXian had already made his way there.