Chapter 103 - Consquences

"LAN ZHAN!!!"

The silence is deafening and the overwhelming pressure of energy begins to settle down. The mass of black and white fades away and the cultivators are exposed to destruction. The floor of the courtyard is chipped and cracked, debris thrown about and plants uprooted. Not that anyone truly noticed the property damage, though.

No, everyone's eyes were fixed on the growing red stain across the floor where the faintest touch of white robes remained, clinging onto a body limp on the ground.

Wei WuXian breaks.

He launches forward, stumbling and collapsing to his knees as he touches the body. His hands and robes quickly collect the rusty scent of blood.

"No, no, no, no!!" Wei WuXian mumbled in madness, his hands shaking the body of Lan WangJi desperately, "Wake up! Wake up, you fuddy-duddy!!"

His chest is heaving as his hands fly up and down, touching each wound and trying to find any sign of life. He can't feel anything! His hand is trembling so much that the stillness of Lan WangJi terrifies him. Wei WuXian's hands knock into a metal chunk, feeling the familiar engravings of the seal.

His heart drops.

'It wasn't even destroyed?'

The blood on Lan WangJi felt like a mockery of the heavens. Wei WuXian's emotions went wild as he shoved the iron lump into his robes before screaming louder, tears streaming down his face. His sudden burst of resentful energy shocked those behind him from their fear because the lone cries were coupled by screams of panic and yells of horror. Wei WuXian felt his body lurch backwards and he screamed, thrashing in Jiang Cheng's grip, "NO! Let me go!!"

"A-XIAN! You have to let Wen Qing take care of him!! She's the doctor!!!!" Jiang Cheng screamed back, watching with panicked eyes as the Wens and Lans surrounded Lan WangJi, the glow of spiritual energy and helpless calls of the body's name echoing in the air.

It is only minutes after reaching the body does Wen Qing scream, "HEALER! Get him to a healer den now!! Keep everyone out!!"

Nie MingJue jolts into action.

From there, it's a blur.

People are running and disciples are forcing everyone to return to their rooms for the night. The entirety of the Nie Sect is on guard and on duty. The families of the four great sects are the only ones, seldom the disciples, that remain outside. The atmosphere is stifling and no one speaks, not even Jin Guangshan.

All of them are standing outside of the room that Lan WangJi had been taken into. Inside was Wen Qing, Wen Ning, all available Nie Sect healers, Lan Xichen and Lan HuiLang. Wei WuXian's horrified screams had gone quiet as his throat protested and the cultivator simply collapsed against the wall, curled up with his hands in his hair. Jiang Cheng was standing not too far away from where Wei WuXian had thrown him off. Jiang Yanli is the only one next to the muttering and horrified boy.

She does not know what to say.

She cannot say it'll be okay.

Because she's not sure.

Not sure at all.

There was so much blood and the energy was massive.

Wei WuXian curled, shaking his head, "He's an idiot. What was he thinking? Why'd he throw me out? Why'd he interfere? Lan Zhan- shit- shit- damn it- he has to be okay– he'll be okay–"

Jiang Yanli released a small breath of air, before rising to her feet. She stepped back only a step, standing next to her youngest brother. Right now, she couldn't get through to him. Her presence was the only thing she and Jiang Cheng could do. Being nearby and silently allowing their spiritual energy to siphon around him like a blanket was the only option.