Chapter 20: Bitter Sweets - part II

"I had a dream...a really bad dream...and I'm terrified it'll become reality..." Jiang Cheng sighed and hung his head, "A-Jie, I had an eye opener in Gusu and because of this...dream,"

"What type of eye opener...and what was this dream?" Jiang Yanli asked.

"I don't want to talk about the dream," Jiang Cheng shook his head clear, "But the eye opener...Jie, A-Xian has always been enthusiastic and bright, but the way he was in Gusu, around WangJi, is different than here. Jie...I know Mother doesn't like him. I've hated the way Father treats him so gently and me stiffly. I'm jealous of how strong and capable he is..."

"A-Cheng..."

"Jie, this is supposed to be his home. He should feel safe here. Loved, trusted, protected. He should be able to be himself here if the world doesn't accept him..." Jiang Cheng looked at his sister with a serious gaze, ignoring the pain in his heart and memories flickering through his mind, "Jie...I'm terrified of how much A-Xian doesn't tell anyone. We see him smiling and laughing. We see him not caring about scolding and harsh words, brushing them off. But...but he's still human,"

"A-Cheng, what can we do other than be there? Mother and Father keep fighting. A-Xian isn't the timid boy who had been brought home anymore. He's grown up and gives....so much. With WangJi, I am hoping he will learn that...he can let other's give him things as well," Jiang Yanli frowned.

"We can fix it. I can fix it," Jiang Cheng nodded, "A-Xian would give up everything for our Sect...for us,"

He did.

"I want him to know he can trust me. That I'm here...that I'm sorry for not being the proper brother he deserved," Jiang Cheng smiled painfully, "A-Jie, Father is afraid, but I trust that he does love Mother. And Mother is blinded with jealousy and insecurities. I let them affect me for so long that it took being afraid of losing everything to make me realize how painful our family is,"

Jiang Yanli's face softened into a sad smile, "My didi...you've changed in a year,"

Jiang Cheng smiled, "I am still the same A-Cheng...I just know what I need to do,"

Jiang Yanli let out a small laugh, reaching up and gently stroking the side of her brother's face. Jiang Cheng let out a weak laugh, giving the one hand he was holding a squeeze, "Jie, I promise this. Everything will get better,"

"Okay," She agreed, "I will do my best to help you,"

Jiang Cheng grinned brightly. The two siblings stood up, walking towards the sword's hall for dinner. They were the last two to enter, Lan Xichen smiling warmly at them, "WuXian was about to run off and find you,"

Jiang Cheng laughed, sitting beside his brother and nudging him, "Really? Worried about us?"

Wei WuXian snorted and stuck his tongue out, "I'm worried about shijie, who is worried about you?"

"What have you two done, switched souls?" Jiang Yanli shook her head with a fond smile.

Lan WangJi blinked at the sentence and then said, "Please, no,"

There was a pause before Wei WuXian burst into laughter while Jiang Cheng gaped at the second Jade, "Excuse me?!"

"Pardon my words, but I cannot see myself feeling towards you in such a way," Lan WangJi spoke plainly.

Jiang Cheng glared, "Bold of you to assume I want to court you, Lan WangJi,"

"I am thankful you have spared me, Jiang Wayin," Lan WangJi retoreded right back.

"You-" Jiang Cheng spit and scowled, "I will never understand how you and A-Xian even fell in love! You're like everything A-Xian cannot do!"

"Opposites attract," Lan WangJi smirked with a challenging glare, "But you would not know,"

Jiang Cheng was up from his seat in an instant, launching towards Lan WangJi, who smoothly slipped from his seat to avoid him, "LAN WANGJI, YOU-!!!"

Jiang Fengmian was smiling in amusement, while Jiang Yanli was giggling. Lan Xichen was chuckling and Wei WuXian was holding his stomach from laughter.

Jiang Cheng chased Lan WangJi around the swords hall, Lan WangJi avoiding all the punches and kicks. He was tempted to fight back, but decided against it, finding it more satisfying to piss the male off by doing almost nothing. Except for the fact that Jiang Cheng was indeed quite fast, Lan WangJi wouldn't have been on full guard.

Yu ZiYuan cleared her throat harshly and Wei WuXian quickly snapped his lips together, trying to calm himself down and suppress his laughter. Jiang Cheng and Lan WangJi also stopped moving, looking towards the female who was staring at them with a cold gaze, "Boys...you can spar tomorrow,"

"Apologies, Madam Yu," Lan WangJi bowed.

"Sorry, Mother," Jiang Cheng bowed as well before throwing a glare at Lan WangJi as they sat back down. Wei WuXian grabbed both of their sleeves grinning brightly, "You two are so strange! A-Cheng, I've never seen Lan Zhan fight back for such a petty thing!"

"Your brother brings out a new level of frustration," Lan WangJi admitted dryly.

"Likewise," Jiang Cheng grumbled.

Yu ZiYuan shook her head, "A-Cheng, don't be so childish! You're the heir,"

Jiang Cheng's eyebrow twitched and he gritted his teeth, "I know that,"

Yu ZiYuan let out something similar to a scoff. She then glanced at Lan Xichen and said, "Young Master Lan, you're the heir to the Lan Sect. Why don't you give my son some lessons about leading?"

Lan Xichen glanced at Jiang Cheng who was glaring at his food as he ate. Jiang Fengmian had chosen to not involve himself, while Jiang Yanli and Wei WuXian both looked a bit uneasy, glancing at Lan Xichen with slightly pleading eyes. Lan WangJi also glanced at his brother, speaking silently through a gaze. Lan Xichen then smiled slightly, "Personally, Madam Yu, I think Wayin is completely capable. He's got a strong core and strong academics. And, I am not qualified to teach him anything. The Lan Sect is completely different and abides differently,"

Yu ZiYuan's nostrils flared slightly and Lan Xichen bowed his head lightly, returning to the meal in front of him. Jiang Cheng chose this moment to speak up, "Why should Xichen-Ge be the one to teach me? If anyone should prepare me for the sect it should be Father,"

Wei WuXian nearly choked, covering his mouth with his sleeve at Yu ZiYuan's glare. Jiang Fengmian glanced up at his son, eyes widened to hear his name in the conversation. Yu ZiYuan laughed mockingly, "He won't teach you anything useful. Only how to stay silent and favor others over another,"

Wei WuXian flinched and Lan Xichen couldn't help but sigh internally. It seems the things his brother had told him about the Jiang Family were true after all. Jiang Yanli grimaced and began to speak calmly, "Must we speak of this now? It's dinner and this can be decided privately,"

"Privately? Oh, you mean when your Father drops things for this unruly mess instead of his son?" Yu ZiYuan arched an eyebrow.

Lan Xichen and Lan WangJi began to feel very uncomfortable. Lan Xichen quickly placed a hand on his brother's knee, spotting the way anger flickered through the golden orbs as Wei WuXian winced again, hanging his head. Jiang Fengmian released a deep sigh, "My Lady, we have guests,"

Yu ZiYuan flickered her gaze to the Twin Jade's and turned to look at Jiang Cheng, who's gaze was still fierce. She then glanced at Wei WuXian who had been looking down. She snapped at him, "Raise your head!"

Wei WuXian obeyed easily, glancing up at her and then down at his food. The rest of dinner was silent but tense. Surprisingly, Wei WuXian had finished first and stood up getting attention. He then bowed and smiled, but the four teenagers noticed it never reached his eyes, "Please, excuse me..."

He then hurried out of the Sword's Hall. Jiang Cheng narrowed his eyes, flickering a glare to his Mother before fixing on Lan WangJi and mouthing the words, "Go after him,"

Lan WangJi nodded, finishing his bowl as well and standing up, "Thank you for the meal,"

When he walked out, Jiang Cheng gave his Mother and Father a glare, snapping at them mentally, "Why are you both being so difficult?!"