Chapter 24: A Promise on the River

Lan WangJi walked through Lotus Pier like a breeze, white robes fluttering around him perfectly. Disciples and servants would bow to him in respect, while eyes lingered over his heavenly appearance. Lan WangJi had never cared for their eyes, he only cared for the looks sent by his soulmate.

Speaking of Wei WuXian, Lan WangJi slowed down as he neared the training grounds. He paused slightly under the overhang, still in the protection of the shade unlike the group of disciples training on the fields. They were in pairs, purple robes moving and swords clashing against one another. Every disciple had their hair pulled back in a ponytail or bun, sweat thinly covering their skin.

"Sixth Shidi!" Wei WuXian's voice sounded and Lan WangJi quickly turned his attention to the senior disciple, who was walking between the pairs. He was currently talking to a pair of younger disciples, a warm smile on his face.

He walked forward and stood behind the younger boy, speaking softly while adjusting the male's stance. Lan WangJi smiled fondly, watching as his beloved hovered for a bit longer as the Sixth Shidi resumed his spar with the corrections. A nod of approval was gifted before he continued his way down the path.

"All right, let's try using only the more aggressive forms now," Wei WuXian announced, everyone pausing their spar to glance at the senior disciple, "But be careful! Don't try and injure one another. If someone gets hurt, stop sparring and call me!"

"Yes, shixiong!"

Lan WangJi watched with impressed eyes as the disciples quickly switched the once gentler moves, into fast and harsher ones. The clashings and quick thumps of feet on the grass increased. Wei WuXian was moving a bit quicker now, eyes scanning each pair seriously, the warm smile replaced by a calm expression.

The training was going quite smoothly, until one of the older disciples pairs became a bit too aggressive. The pairs beside them, paused their spar to avoid the older two's battle. The fight was closer to where Lan WangJi was observing and he glanced over at his beloved who was currently occupied by a pair on the other end of the field.

A group closer to Lan WangJi whispered, "Oh no, Bingwen-xiong and Young Master TengFei are fighting again,"

"Shixiong's going to get yelled by the young master again,"

"He should just let young master get hurt,"

"Shixiong is too kind to do such and BingWen can't hurt Young Master TengFei without risking anything,"

Lan WangJi's eyes hardened and he fixed his eyes on the fight between Bingwen and TengFei. It was obvious that one of the boys was slightly larger than the other, and he was definitely the more aggressive one. The smaller boy was completely on defence, moving back and around to avoid hits.

"Come on Bingwen!" One boy, who Lan WangJi assumed was TengFei, mocked, "Didn't you want to prove yourself!"

The smaller boy, BingWen, darkened his gaze but he stayed silent. TengFei was unamused and suddenly rushed forward. BingWen jumped out of the way, only to scream when the hilt of TengFei's sword hit his waist harshly. The commotion caused everyone to stop and Wei WuXian's eyes to snap over. He then quickly broke into a dash, "BingWen!"

TengFei looked completely smug, but shocked when BingWen sent his sword towards him. TengFei had the upper hand and easily avoided sending his sword straight towards the male. With the current situation, the sword would've caused a nasty wound on the defenceless disciples.

Lan WangJi moved quickly, Bichen sliding from it's sheathe, blue sword glare shining brightly as it shot towards them, stopping the sword easily. TengFei and BingWen's eyes widened, everyone snapping their glances over to Lan WangJi, who had walked onto the field.