Chapter 10: The Lan Family - part II

Lan WangJi stood in his place, staring at the house in front of him. It was very silent, but a dim glow from candles signaled the fact that someone lived here. Inhaling, Lan WangJi walked down the path and up the small steps to the door. He hesitated again, hand pausing before he knocked.

"Who's there?" A calm voice demanded from inside.

Lan WangJi froze. He hadn't heard his Father's voice in years. Even before his death, he had never been able to face his Father. Resenting him for the pain his mother was forced to go through. When he was 13, he had the chance to visit his Father once. It was the last time he had seen the man.

Lan WangJi couldn't look at him and had stated he doesn't want to talk to him ever. That if he did, it would kill him from the inside out. But now...and when the news of his Father's injury had reached him, it was nothing else he wanted. He wanted to kneel and beg for forgiveness. But he never had the chance.

Until now.

"Father..." Lan WangJi croaked painfully.

There was a pause. Lan WangJi's heart thumped loudly in his chest, almost completely drowning out the shocked call from inside, "W-WangJi?"

"Father, may I come inside?" Lan WangJi pleaded slightly.

"Come,"

Lan WangJi reached a hand out and shakily slid open the door. He stepped inside, closing the doors of the Hanshi behind him. Lan WangJi looked around the room, finding a man with the similar grey eyes as Lan Xichen, just without the touch of amber and warmth. These eyes were faraway, holding a familiar loss and loneliness Lan WangJi had seen in himself in those abhorrent 13 years, calling to a spirit no one could find.

Lan HuiLang - or more commonly known as Qingheng Jun, was a stunning male. He had long black hair, half of it held up with a beautiful jade headpiece. The GusuLan Sect forehead ribbon sat perfectly on his forehead, above the perfect shaped brows. The man was dressed in white robes, that were simple by the look at the normal uniforms, but still held the touches of patterns and elegance.

Lan HuiLang was seated in Lotus Position in the center of the room, on a thin light blue cushion, behind a table that had nothing but two candles and an incense burner that was currently spreading a light scent of Jasmine around the room.

Contrary to his youthful appearance, Lan WangJi saw the signs of his Father's depression and guilt. His eyes were dull and tired, and his skin was paler than it should be. His body, while in perfect pose, was stiff and his head seemed heavy on his neck.

Lan HuiLang glanced up, eyes slightly widening. He took in the sight of his youngest son, who was 15 if he recalled correctly. When they had last met, he had seen a young boy, rigid and aloof, hiding emotions within himself and following the rules ingrained into him. But now, there was something different. Lan WangJi seemed more mature and at ease with himself. The once emotionless eyes were a bit brighter and the cold aura that once surrounded the male had faded dramatically.

Lan WangJi bowed in respect, Lan HuiLang bowing with his head. The Sect Leader than motioned to the seat across from him, "Sit down, you're tense,"

Lan WangJi hadn't realized he was, but now that it had been said, he felt the way all his muscles had stiffened. Taking in a deep breath to relax, Lan WangJi slowly sat down across the table on another cushion, hands resting on his thighs and eyes lowered to look at the table.

Lan HuiLang knew something was wrong the moment he had heard someone call who did not sound like Lan Xichen say, Father. Only one other person could call him that and it was his youngest, Lan WangJi. The same boy who had said the words, "I don't want to see you! I don't want to talk to you, have anything to do with you! Because if I do, It's going to destroy me thinking about my Mother,"