Chapter 102: Distance Voice V

This chapter is outlined/cowritten by Sarah. 

Thank you so much!

-----------------

The following day was the day of the sparring, or rather the most awaited part of the contest as everyone was already talking about who they thought was going to be the winner.

"I bet sect leader Nie would've won if he was participating in this round as well." One Nie disciple said with a huff and an OuYang boy nodded along. "I wouldn't be surprised. I've heard he's killed dozens in the sunshine campaign. Even fought against Wen RouHan himself."

"So did Lan XiChen. And Wei WuXian."

A Jin snorted. "I wouldn't be counting on him. He only used his dark sorcery. Who knows what kind of evil spells he used back then!"

Someone else hummed though-fully. "Indeed. But I can't help but wonder how the competition would turn out though, if he was participating as well."

"Why isn't he? I don't see him being injured or anything."

An OuYang boy chuckled sarcastically. "I bet it's something different. Have you heard of the rumors? About the infighting of the Jiang sect?"

"So it's true? I thought things had gotten better."

A disciple of the OuYang sect rolled his eyes. "Can you blame them? I wouldn't want someone like him in my sect either. They're probably looking for a way to get rid of him."

"Well, it's better he's sitting out. Who knew what he'd do if he was participating? He'd probably use his demonic cultivation to win. Some people might even get hurt then. With him being out, the participants have a chance to win fairly."

"Exactly! Do you want to bet on who's going to win this round? I'm betting on Zewu-Jun." The same Nie boy who had started the conversation said and the rest could only sigh.

"What about Jiang WanYin? He's been performing great in the last two rounds." A girl said with a blush and her friend chuckled, whispering to her ear. "Too bad he seems to have his eyes on Lady Wen."

The girl blushed, sputtering. "That-that's not what I meant! I already know that!" She groaned after that. "I don't even know why he would go after her though. After everything she and her sect did."

A Jin disciple nodded eagerly. "Right? She should be rotting in a dungeon, rather than sitting along with the sect leaders."

"But I've heard that she had helped the Jiang sect during the war." Another girl from the Jin sect added shyly, her voice almost a whisper.

"Huh, so what if she did? I've heard she's also saved Wei WuXian himself. I wouldn't be surprised if it had been her plan all along and they're plotting something." Another boy from the Jin said, glaring at the woman who was currently having a conversation with Wei WuXian.

"Ugh, all these people are giving me a headache." Wei WuXian, who had heard the whole conversation, said. His eyes narrowed and he turned to glare at the gossiping group with greeted teeth. His temper had really been only getting worse since the first day he had come here. "If only I could-"

"A-Ying," Wen Qing called softly, placing a hand in his arm and making him look at her, the flashing red light in his eyes disappearing. "It's alright. It's just talk, let them do so."

Wei WuXian sighed, giving up. "I know it's just-ugh I just want this to get over sooner."

Wen Qing smiled, rubbing his shoulder. "I know, but quit being so gloomy for now. You have more important things to do."