Chapter 86: Balancing Acts - part II

Wei WuXian pulled back from Lan WangJi, taking a few breaths. He then turned and explained, "It was supposed to be just something to give me a boost of strength, help me use resentment without bringing it into my body,"

He blissfully ignored the slight twitch, Lan Qiren hadn't said anything yet, so neither was Wei WuXian, "However, it seems to also be able to respond to spiritual energy. Lan Zhan helped me make the amulet so he tried it out and it responded easily and powerfully to him, despite using yang instead of yin,"

"Yang instead of yin," Jiang Fengmian repeated slowly, "You sound like you have a theory,"

Wei WuXian summoned a black wisp in his hand, "These are the wisps that surround me, and also my half of the amulet when I was using it. Its resentment, or another word I could use, is yin. Lan Zhan had similar ones, but white. It was spiritual energy, or yang,"

"You think the amulet has something to do with the forces of balance," Wen Qing understood, and Wei WuXian nodded, looking at Lan WangJi, "How did the wisps feel?"

Lan WangJi blinked and then stared down at his palm. He held it out and recalled the way the wisps had felt around him. They had been hot and bright, a comforting warmth as it kissed and tugged at his robes. His core pulsed and Lan WangJi inhaled quickly, white tendrils suddenly surrounding his hand.

Everyone stared, mouths open (except the Lan's cause of "conduct" but you get the idea)

Wei WuXian leaned closer, eyes wide, "How did you do that?"

"I recalled what I felt when it was surrounding me..." Lan WangJi stared at his hand, gently lifting his other and poking at the wisps, "You were right when you said its spiritual energy, but it feels slightly different,"

"Really?" Lan Qiren blinked.

"Can you control it?" Lan Xichen titled his head.

Lan WangJi narrowed his eyes slightly, making more wisps appear. He didn't make them too big, but sent them out towards the others to feel. Jiang Yanli reached out, hand passing through the energy as if it were smoke, "Its warm,"

"Powerful too," Yu ZiYuan fluttered her own fingers through a couple wisps.

Wei WuXian extended a hand upwards. Out of curiosity, he summoned a wisp of resentment and tried to move the energies closer, only to yelp and retract back at once. Lan WangJi startled, losing concentration and the wisps vanished. He took Wei WuXian's hands, eyes concerned, "What happened?"

"I...tried to use resentment with it. But I got a power shock," Wei WuXian explained, Wen Qing taking his hand to check, sighing in relief when it was fine.

"Alright," Jiang Cheng gave a frustrated sigh, "You're both in control of two opposing energy forces, which we're all assuming is resentment and spiritual energy, yin and yang, and can control an amulet that has knocked the users out...three times over, but we still don't know what is going on and what exactly happened five days ago in the crater,"

Wei WuXian reached up and massaged his temples, "On top of everything we already have going on, now I have this,"

"I can research if you would like the help," Lan WangJi suggested, "Have to go back to Gusu anyways. Can use the library,"

Wei WuXian nodded slowly, "I suppose, though I'd rather we work together on this,"

"Then perhaps A-Xian should head to Gusu for a week," Jiang Fengmian suggested.

Wei WuXian looked shocked, "Uncle, we don't have time for that. Shijie's wedding, my duties-"

"Going to Gusu might be a good breather, A-Xian," Yu ZiYuan spoke up, "Also, WangJi has been staying here numerous times, yet you haven't visited Gusu,"