Chapter 42: Shit (Literally)

Wei WuXian huffed, a black cloth wrapped under his nose to block the stench of the dung they were carrying. Wen Chao had grouped the young masters of the gentry sect together, the six of them sighing as they did the work. Jin ZiXuan didn't really talk to them much at the start, giving Wei WuXian an annoyed glare.

In Wei WuXian's defence, he hadn't expected to get everyone in trouble. Plus, it was better than Wen Chao blowing up at the pavilion and telling them to do something worse. Gardening wasn't too bad at all.

"Young Master Jin, be careful," Nie Huaisang whined, just avoiding a splash of dung, "I doubt the Wen Sect will give us a chance to wash out everything except the stench,"

Wei WuXian laughed, "To be honest, this isn't that bad,"

"Yes, other than the pungent smell, I am quite alright with this," Lan Xichen agreed.

Jiang Cheng scoffed, "Er-Ge, you and WangJi have the Lan Sect's unbeatable arm strength. Carrying this shit is probably like carrying a sword!"

Lan WangJi corrected, "Sword is less of a hassle,"

"Well obviously," Jin ZiXuan rolled his eyes, "It's a sword. They're strapped to our waists,"

"And you don't need to balance it on your shoulders with two buckets filled with dung swinging from either end, near our legs," Wei WuXian added.

"That...is also correct," Lan Xichen chuckled.

"Do you farm in Yunmeng a lot?" Nie Huaisang asked the Yunmeng brothers, as the group entered the area they were supposed to dump the dung, "Since the area is accompanied by lots of fresh plants, especially Lotuses,"

"We don't farm, but we've seen the gardens and helped out if we can," Jiang Cheng answered, pouring out his buckets.

Wei WuXian agreed, "Yeah! All the pretty maidens give us sweets and gifts after,"

Jin ZiXuan looked at him surprised and then at Lan WangJi, who suddenly stood up and walked back with now empty buckets. He asked Wei WuXian, "Can you even say that when you're...engaged?"

"Ah?" Wei WuXian looked confused and then glanced at the receding figure in white, "Oh shit,"

"Didn't you learn your lesson last time?" Lan Xichen laughed.

Wei WuXian grinned sheepishly, dumping on his buckets and chasing after the older, "Lan Zhan!"

The male ignored him and Wei WuXian pouted walking right beside the elder, "Gege, I'm sorry. You know I don't mean any of the flirting I do, I'm yours!"

Lan WangJi didn't give him a glance, but his lip twitched slightly.

"Aye, Lan Zhan. Look at you, getting jealous over such a small thing," Wei WuXian teased, "All right, I'm sorry. Forgive your fiance, hm?"

He placed a hand on his shoulder, only for it to be pulled back as a whip cracked on the back of his palms. Shocked, the buckets they were carrying fell from their shoulders and onto the ground. Lan WangJi turned around quickly, reaching to check Wei WuXian's hand, which was turning red from the strike.

The noise created, made the heirs pause their work and watch from a distance, confused at what was happening. Wei WuXian and Lan WangJi glanced up to see Wen Chao and Wen Xu. Wen Chao had the whip in his hand, smirking as he saw the two, "I knew you wouldn't be doing your work, what are you two talking about? Say it out loud,"

"Sure," Wei WuXian smirked, walking forward towards the two, "I was asking Lan Zhan about the stench. It smelled really familiar to me, so I was asking him where it was from. Now that you're here, I suddenly remembered....isn't that stench you?"