Chapter 49: Unity - part III

The following day was the first step of the plan. After a few cultivators who knew healing checked all six young masters and gave them the all clear to create the barrier, Jiang Cheng led the five of them to the pond. Behind them was Gu BingWen and Jiang Tengfei, along with a disciple from each sect. They would be remaining as backup in case the monster was alerted or they had trouble swimming out due to the lack of spiritual energy.

"Ready?" Wei WuXian looked at the two disciples, who nodded firmly.

Jiang Cheng looked over at the disciple from the Nie sect, who was watching the Tortoise of Slaughter. Giving a thumbs up, the six young masters all dove into the water. Jiang Cheng quickly led them to the hole and they all gathered around it. The water quickly began to glow with different colors.

It was harder to make the strokes due to the water constricting their movements, but they did it. Jin ZiXuan held up three fingers, then two, then one. At the same time, the group activated the barrier with lots of spiritual energy.

All six of them lurched a bit as they felt the sudden drain of energy, but eyes narrowed they pushed through. The barrier began to form over the hole. Nie Huaisang let out a small grunt. The rest of the group all looked towards him, realizing the male was running out of air. Increasing the amount of spiritual energy, they hastened their pace the barrier finally being completed. Lowering their hands, they all placed their hands flat against the barrier to check.

Confirming it was completed, they all were about to swim up just when Nie Huaisang and Jin ZiXuan both coughed, hands going to their chests and eyes widening. Their mouths both opened up, completely out of air. Wei WuXian and Jiang Cheng both panicked, pushing forward and grabbing the two and began to swim up, the Twin Jades following after.

Breaking the surface, Jin ZiXuan and Nie Huaisang both began to cough violently, water spitting from their throat. The other four gasped when getting fresh air, taking in gulps of it.

"Young Masters!! Hurry!!" A disciple yelled and the group finally heard the roaring of the monster.

"Sh-shit!" Jin ZiXuan coughed.

"To the shore!" Lan Xichen ordered through pants.

They began to swim towards the other disciples, but moving a lot slower than last time due to the exhaustion in their limbs.

"Look out!" Gu BingWen yelled and Wei WuXian caught sight of the monster approaching them.

They all swam faster, not stopping their pace. Seeing the black head about to shoot for them, Wei WuXian reacted out of reflex. He quickly shoved Nie Huaisang towards Lan Xichen. He stopped swimming, turning to the monster and opening his palm to cast a spell, sending a huge wave of water towards the beast.

"A-XIAN!" Jiang Cheng yelled, releasing Jin ZiXuan, who was pulled up by the disciples.

Wei WuXian grunted arms falling limply and feet slowing down even more. Lan WangJi swam towards him, quickly grabbing the male and using spiritual energy to dodge an attack.

"Lan-xiong! Wei-xiong!"

Lan WangJi got to the shore with Wei WuXian, both boys pulled up. Supported by their brothers, Wei WuXian ordered, "Go!"

The group quickly ran back towards the shelter, despite the Tortoise of Slaughter trying to follow them. Lan Xichen cursed, pausing and handing Lan WangJi to a few disciples. The younger halted, "Huan Ge..."

Lan Xichen turned to the monster and blue spiritual energy formed in his palms. He moved his arms in elegant moves, before sending a huge blast of spiritual energy at the monsters head, causing it to screech and dive under the water. Lan Xichen coughed, "Let's go,"