Chapter 91: Wavering

Wei WuXian stared at the sight in front of him with startlement. He and the Jiang disciples had just been about to leave, having finished packing their things. Wei WuXian had sent two disciples to inform the Zou family that the yaos were dealt with and they would be leaving right after they finished eating before lunch had been served to them. Now, they had just reached the center of the village only to find a crowd of villagers waiting for them holding a variety of items in their hands. Wei WuXian stopped at once, eyes widening. The Jiang disciples had halted as well, their young expression filled with disbelief and awe.

Zou Wu stepped forward, a bright grin on his face, "Young Master Wei, we owe you such a debt for saving us!"

Wei WuXian blinked and his brain finally caught up to him, "Oh- no, no!"

"Yes, yes!" Zou Wu's wife, Madam Zou, stepped forward, "Please, how can we repay you? We've brought everything, food, robes, uh- decorations, toys, scriptures-"

"Madam Zou, everyone," Wei WuXian raised his voice slightly, "There is no reason for this. It was our duty as cultivators. Such gifts are really not needed!"

The villagers didn't yield, only speaking louder. Wei WuXian sighed and then did the one thing he knew would stop this. He stepped forward and quickly kneeled to the ground in a bow. As expected, there was a stunned silence, before an onslaught of protests shattered his ears, Zou Wu rushing forward and pulling him up, pale in the face, "Young Master Wei!"

"Master Zou, my disciples and I have no need for such gifts. You took care of us while we were here and did not cause us trouble, aiding us in the productivity of our investigation," Wei WuXian spoke clearly, so his voice carried to everyone, "That, is enough of a payment,"

The villagers frowned, but looked a bit more subdued now. Madam Zou spoke softly, "At least take some, I don't think it would ease us if we let you leave with nothing,"

Wei WuXian took one look at her expression and gave in, nodding with a bow. He turned to the disciples, "Why don't you take something for the children and yourselves,"

The disciples beamed and nodded. At once they entered the crowd and Wei WuXian shook his head with an amused smile. Zou Wu glanced at his expression and then chuckled with a knowing glint in his eyes. Wei WuXian turned to him, confused, "Sir?"

"Oh, nothing," he chuckled and then added, "...you have your own, don't you?"

"My own?" Wei WuXian repeated slowly.

"A child?"

Wei WuXian's breathing faltered and he looked at the village head with wide eyes, "I..."

Zou Wu laughed and shook his head, "Son or daughter?"

Wei WuXian smiled a bit and looked down, "Uh, son. Though, not officially. Lan Zhan- ah, Hanguang Jun, and I have to get married before we can formally adopt him,"

Zou Wu smiled kindly, watching the way the man whose name held whispers of darkness, gazed ahead with a loving expression as he spoke of his family. Zou Wu asked softly, "How old is he?"

"3," Wei WuXian whispered, turning to the older man, "You?"

"10 year old son and an 8 year old daughter," Zou Wu nodded in the direction of a group of the village kids. He looked at his kids while he spoke, "He know yet, that you two are going to adopt him?"

"I'm pretty sure he adopted Lan Zhan and I first," Wei WuXian snickered, "One day, he was, talking with a friend. And that friend went, oh, I didn't know your Baba was Hanguang Jun and Wei WuXian. Next thing we both know, he's getting called Baba and I'm getting called A-Die,"