Chapter 35: The Early Stages of War - part II

Two GusuLan Sect flares flew up with blue, while a grey QishanWen Sect flare shot up. Wei WuXian and Jiang Cheng, saw a group of Lan Sect disciples land in the clearing, Lan WangJi in the lead and looking towards Wen Chao with cold eyes.

"Second Young Master Lan, this is not your matter," Wen Chao spat, drawing another arrow.

"Second Young Master Wen, you can't shoot any more arrows," Jiang Cheng snapped, Wen Chao looking at him with angered shock so he added, "If you miss a shot, you're out. Don't tell us you're going to break your own rules,"

"I am the rules!"

Wei WuXian added, "You missed, therefore you're out. The Wen Sect has honor, doesn't it?"

Wen Chao's face turned red with anger and he growled, turning away. Jiang Cheng yelled after him, "And tell your brother to stay away from mine!!"

"What?" Lan WangJi turned to him, confused only to look a bit worried when Wei WuXian released a breath and finally released his grip on the youngers sleeves, the older's body letting out a low shudder, "Wei Ying?"

Jiang Cheng's eyes softened, wrapping an arm around his brother and walking towards the Lan, "Wen Xu was here. He talked to A-Xian,"

Lan WangJi's eyes turned cold and two disciples from the OuyangBailing Sect, who had arrived as Wen Xu left looked surprised, speaking up, "Young Master Wen is sadistic and a psychopath. Second Young Master Wen is a womanizer and egomaniac,"

"And their Father's a tyrant," Wei WuXian sighed, "Poor people of Qishan,"

Lan WangJi looked at Wei WuXian, "Did he hurt you?"

"No," Wei WuXian mumbled.

Lan WangJi pressed his lips together tightly and nodded in relief, "...we still have the rest of the competition,"

"Right!" Wei WuXian grinned and Lan WangJi began to turn away. Wei WuXian called out, "Ah! Lan Zhan, your forehead ribbon is tilted!"

Lan WangJi glanced back with a raised eyebrow and Wei WuXian sighed, walking forward, "Here, if you don't believe me let me fix it,"

And before any Lan disciple could stop him, Lan WangJi felt the tug, the white ribbon coming undone and slipping off his forehead. All the Lan Sect disciples stopped moving, staring with eyes wide and quickly looking at Lan WangJi as if waiting for a reaction. Lan WangJi looked at Wei WuXian a bit taken back, but was calm.

"Oops," Wei WuXian giggled, "But it was crooked,"

"Mn..." Lan WangJi turned back fully looking at the silver orbs. He then spoke a bit loud, making all the disciples nearby freeze, "Tie it for me?"

Jiang Cheng facepalmed in the background, knowing well that his brother had no idea of the forehead ribbon's meaning and the Lan Sect disciples were too in shock to move. Wei WuXian, oblivious, smiled, reaching up and tying the ribbon back on. Lan WangJi watched the other intensely, Wei WuXian slowly blushing, "Why are you staring at me? And what's wrong with all the disciples?"

"He doesn't know!!?" A Lan disciple muttered shocked.

"Second Young Master Lan-"

Lan WangJi raised a hand to calm his sect, Wei WuXian stepping back after done, "There! Now it's proper,"

Lan WangJi nodded and then smiled innocently, "Wei Ying, do you know what the forehead ribbon means?"

Wei WuXian looked blank and shook his head, a few Lan disciples paling and sucking in breaths. Lan WangJi stepped closer saying, "The headband means to regulate oneself,"