Chapter 21: Bitter Sweets - part III

Wei WuXian glanced towards the door of his room, seeing Lan WangJi walk in with a worried gaze, "Wei Ying,"

"I'm fine," He forced a small smile, before turning away and dropping it.

He then slipped behind one of the two screens in the room, listening as Lan WangJi spoke while he changed into some night robes, "Lying is forbidden,"

"Not here," Wei WuXian answered back.

There was a pause and Wei WuXian heard the small sounds of fabric moving on the other side of the room, "What's wrong? I know something is wrong..."

Wei WuXian grimaced as he finished changing, stepping out and sitting on the edge of the bed as he waited. When Lan WangJi stepped out from behind the other screen, he was also changed into some night robes, forehead ribbon being placed on the table beside the bed. He then sat against the headboard, motioning Wei WuXian closer.

Wei WuXian smiled softly, sitting down in between the older's legs and leaning back into the Jade's chest. Lan WangJi wrapped his arms around the younger. They shared a few kisses and sat in one another's comfort in silence. Lan WangJi nuzzled his face into his beloved's hair, occasionally placing soft pecks, "It's Madam Yu, isn't it?"

Wei WuXian sighed, "It's okay,"

"It's not okay!" Lan WangJi argued, lifting his head, "Aren't you supposed to be her son?"

Wei WuXian laughed at that, sitting up and facing Lan WangJi with a bitter smile. The expression was so familiar that for a few seconds, Lan WangJi was staring at the male in black and red robes, with resentment energy swirling around him, while tears fell down the man's face.

"Wei Ying..." Lan WangJi muttered blinking out of the daze.

"Her son? Lan Zhan, I'm nothing more than the head disciple. Why would she take me as a son?" Wei WuXian laughed bitterly.

"But...doesnt QingYuan Jun consider you a son?"

Wei WuXian's bitter smile turned into one of amusement, "No. A nephew perhaps, but not a son. Never a son,"

Lan WangJi frowned and he pulled the male into his lap, staring up at the silver orbs, "Wei Ying,"

"Lan Zhan," Wei WuXian returned and sighed, "I'm sorry you and Xichen-Ge have to experience this,"

Lan WangJi shook his head, pulling the younger down. Wei WuXian hummed with content, wrapping his arms around the older's neck. Pulling back, Lan WangJi reached one hand up to brush aside a strand of hair from his soulmate's face. Wei WuXian giggled, "How did you fall for me, hm?"

He was changing the topic. Lan WangJi allowed it since he was never one to push. He gave the younger a deep kiss, "I must've done something wonderful in my first life and fate rewarded me,"

Wei WuXian giggled joyfully and shyly, hiding his face on the older's shoulder, "I'm lucky..."

Lan WangJi placed a small peck on Wei WuXian's ear, glancing towards the door which clicked open. Jiang Cheng walked in, face twisted with displeasure. Wei WuXian sat up, glancing at the younger, "A-Cheng-"

"Are you okay?" Jiang Cheng stopped him, ignoring...whatever the couple had been doing before he walked in, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Wei WuXian moved from Lan WangJi, settling a bit closer to the younger, "En,"

Jiang Cheng narrowed his eyes, turning to Lan WangJi. The Jade informed, "It's your Mother but he doesn't want to talk about it,"

Wei WuXian let out a noise of surprise, shocked that Lan WangJi had betrayed him. Jiang Cheng's displeasure turned into a look of sadness, gazing at Wei WuXian, "A-Xian...don't listen to her. I'm-"

Wei WuXian shook his head, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder, "It's fine, it's fine. Let's not make this a big thing, okay?"

Jiang Cheng had already made it a big thing, considering how he had finished his dinner and said good night to his sister and Lan Xichen, completely ignoring his parents. Thought he didn't say that and just sighed, shaking his head, "Sleep well,"

Wei WuXian grinned, "You too,"

With that, Jiang Cheng gave Lan WangJi a small nod of farewell, before striding out of the room. Lan WangJi glanced at Wei WuXian, watching as the younger laid down and smiled at him, "You can blow out the candles, right?"

Lan WangJi snorted, flicking his wrist before laying underneath the covers and pulling Wei WuXian close to his chest. The younger grinned, snuggling up with Lan WangJi. Lan WangJi knew from experience that Wei WuXian would not fall asleep well if he was being bothered by something...especially something negative. So, he began to hum a special tune, unable to hold back a smile as he slowly heard the younger's breath level out.

Down the hallway was a less peaceful sight. Jiang Cheng had changed into his night robes and sat on his bed. Except, his face was in his hands as he wept softly. Jiang Cheng laughed bitterly in the dark, speaking to himself, "I'm doing the right thing, I'm doing the right thing,"

It hurt.

Everything hurt.

There was so much pain seeing the people he had seen dead be bright and cheerful, Lotus Pier buzzing with its warmth. His parents were alive and all he wanted was to hug his Mother the same way she had when she sent him away. Not in the same circumstances...but...well, you get the point! It hurt beautifully in seeing the once dead now alive.

However, Jiang Cheng's childhood had been filled with abuse. Verbal abuse and the whispers of a viper, fueled by the ignorance of a coward. He had grown up with negativity and the inability to express the gentleness and love his sister had been gifted with. His emotions came out in rage. He was taught to hate a brother who had given up everything just to keep him safe.

Where did it go wrong?

It was a question he had been asking himself in those 13 years of raising Jin Ling and his grief coming out as unquenchable rage. It was a question he had only mumbled when catching sight of his brother's guilt and pain after the events of Guanyin Temple. It was a question that had resurfaced now that he was back in the past.

Where had their lives gone so wrong?

Jiang Cheng was starting to think their lives were never right. A family with so little love expressed, but a world of affection kept behind different masks. Silence, kindness, sneers, rage, and laughter.

What a broken family they were. Ready to give up everything for one another, despite the quarrels. Falling asleep unaware that all of them weep alone in their rooms.

Only held together by the roof above their heads, the color of their robes, and perhaps...the voice of Jiang Yanli, who was the only one who seemed able to talk to them all with warmth.

Was that the only thing that had been keeping any of it together? Jiang Cheng wouldn't be surprised if the answer was yes.

He would be ashamed...but not surprised.

He had already begun the first step. Jiang Cheng was talking to his Father more, asking for advice and offering to help with Sect duties when he noticed a sign of too much work. At first, Jiang Fengmian had been surprised, but eventually, he grew comfortable. The two of them were bonding and Jiang Cheng told his Father about things he probably couldn't in his first life. Jiang Fengmian also helped him out with things such as certain sword moves or gave some advice for decision making and dealing with annoying cultivators.

It was nice and Jiang Cheng knew their relationship was already fixing itself. However, the relationship between him and his mother...well...that seemed to be progressing worse and worse with every remark he made. He had never realized how much rage his Mother held until he was on bad terms with her.

It hurt fighting with her, but Jiang Cheng knew she would never listen to any calm reasoning- even if Jiang Cheng could manage that.

Jiang Cheng fell backwards on the bed, placing a hand over his meridian. He then shut his eyes, dreaming of the haunting past and a future he was striving towards.