Chapter 84: Yin and Yang

Lan WangJi had learned a lot of things while reliving, especially things about Wei WuXian. He had known, of course, that Wei WuXian was kind, too kind. That he was brave, reckless, a tease, childish, lovable. He knew there was so much behind the carefree and lazy armor Wei WuXian wore.

He saw it clearer in this life. He saw the other breakdown. He saw the other twist from nightmares. He saw the other lose control. He saw the other latch onto comfort and kindness. He saw the other's mental state fluctuate up and down. He saw the other's pain. He saw the strained smiles. He saw everything that he had missed before.

He was never close to Wei WuXian in his last life, at least not when he came back as a demonic cultivator or before that. They were fire and ice. They argued. Lan WangJi was fearful of the feelings he held, unsure of how to convey his means to Wei WuXian. He never wanted to imprison him. He wanted to protect him.

Lan WangJi would admit, with extreme reluctance, that he had his doubts at the beginning. That he was beyond worried for Wei WuXian's temperament. He didn't know the boy had no core, he had assumed he was fine. He had assumed Wei WuXian chose the dark path. But that was never the case. Not before, not now. Wei WuXian had been ripped of so many things. Lan WangJi hated whoever was controlling his fiance's fate.

"Lan Zhan!" Wei WuXian's voice echoed into his ears, the white-robed male glancing up and seeing Wei WuXian walk towards him, the Wen and Jiang siblings following him. Lan WangJi greeted them with a soft smile, though it was mostly for his fiance.

"Are you sure you don't want anyone else to come with?" Jiang Cheng frowned, "If something goes wrong, you'll need to get back right away. And A-Xian can't use a sword,"

Lan WangJi noticed the subtle point. It wasn't about Wei WuXian getting hurt, though that was a fear, the biggest problem was Lan WangJi. They had no way of knowing how the amulet would react to him.

Lan WangJi looked at him, "It might be too dangerous for anyone else to be near,"

"I mean, we don't have to be near," Wen Qing pointed out, "We can watch from a safe and calculated distance,"

Wei WuXian gave them a tired look, "You guys are ridiculous. We talked about this already,"

"Yes, but frankly, I don't think we've talked enough," Jiang Cheng stated.

"A-Cheng is right to an extent, A-Xian," Jiang Yanli frowned, "We don't know what could happen,"

"All the more reason for there to be less people around," Wei WuXian remained stubborn.

He had been saying this everytime the conversation came up. It was clear to all of them that Wei WuXian was not looking forward to using the amulet, though the demonic cultivator would never admit it. They were getting a bit worried, to be honest. Wei WuXian was extremely stubborn about this, ending the conversation quickly or weaving himself an excuse and escaping. Lan WangJi thought it would be a good idea for someone to accompany them for standby, especially if the same effect happened last time.

"What do you think Second Young Master Lan?" Wen Qing ignored Wei WuXian, "You're also going to be using the amulet,"

All eyes were now on him and Lan WangJi blinked slowly. He then began slowly, "There is little information to theorize what could happen, the danger is unprecedented for both of us and anyone who would wish to join. However, that is also more supporting of having extra accompany, should something go wrong and Wei Ying and I require to be brought back or anything else,"

Wei WuXian frowned, "Lan Zhan, nothing will happen to you. I won't let it,"

Lan WangJi looked at him, "It is not me I am worried about. There are factors we are unaware of. The mix of spiritual and resentment energy might be much more powerful and draining than we expect. Should we, heaven forbid it, both fall into Qi Deviation, we'd be dead before anyone could realize something happened,"