Chapter 20: Shenanigans

Brianna

When I initially slept with the Devil's errand boy, I was fully aware my off-spring was not going to be entirely normal. And Ev is, in my opinion, reasonably capricious. It's been interesting. But. They're seventeen. I know I can't keep them safe and locked up forever, no matter how much I might want to.

When I got pregnant, I swore I would take care of the baby the best I could. I knew they were a little different. They always were. I knew they'd be wild. I just wasn't ready for them to have the biggest heart ever. Ev loves everyone, cares for everyone, a little too much. I worry about them. But things are going good. Penny is their best friend, maybe girlfriend? I don't know. They're cute together though. And I'm glad Ev has friends.

I try to be decently hands off. They're with Penny, she stays between her dad and her mom's. All is good. They're seventeen now. They can have a little freedom without me hovering.

But they didn't text at all this morning. I'm worried. That isn't like them. I texted 'all okay' but haven't gotten anything back yet. That isn't like them. I hate to bother Penny's dad. Because if the kids are still asleep that means he's still asleep because he was supervising whatever they were doing so late last night. Usually anyway.

A text comes through, from Penny's phone: Ev's phone got destroyed mine isn't doing great all good! Just hanging out and enjoying no school! 😊 😊👍

I sigh. Good. Proof of life lol? What happened to the Ev's phone?

I immediately get a picture of the two of them cramming their faces into the phone, sticking their tongue's out. Their hair looks wet, and their faces flushed.

Me: What are you two up to?

Them: Just swimming. sorry we got up late. 😊😊 This is Ev btw. I hopped in the pool with my phone. 🤦‍♂️😐 Guess it wasn't as waterproof as its supposed to be. Love you mom. <3 😘🥰😘💚🖤💚I'm gonna try to dry it off now

I shake my head Be good. I love you.💗💗💗

We will! Love you! <3 😊 😊 😊😍😘🥰💚💛🖤

I sigh. That kid. Probably jumped in the Thames. Knowing them, I'll get a text from my cousin asking why the kids say they're on the run and needing to crash in London? There's like an 80% probability of something like that happening. Anyway. At least they're having fun. And they're all right. Silly things. Not like I didn't get up to trouble when I was seventeen, but still.

I get up. Time to get to work. The kids are all right and I have a meeting in a few hours. I pick up my breakfast things and am about to get started on the day when I walk directly into Ev's father.

I'm cool with Ev's father. We have a immortal being and high class art thief with benefits relationship. They come around. We make out. That one time I got knocked up and made the most perfect lovely human being on the planet. It's all good. He tries to come around and have a decent relationship with Ev so that at least they have a dad of some kind to talk about. We work.

Right now he's crying. Like, eyes red and bruised like he's been sobbing for hours, crying. He's hugging himself and just standing there crying.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask, rubbing his arms, "Did something bad happen?"

He nods, unable to speak, just crying. I've never seen him this upset.

"Someone you care about?" I ask, giving him a hug, "Did something happen to one of your siblings?" he has a lot. I didn't think he liked them this much.  He also wouldn't be this upset if something had happened to my cousins or anything.

He shakes his head no.

"It's okay. I'm glad you came here, sit down," I guide him to the sofa. He clings to my arms, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Shh, you don't have to talk if you don't want to," I say.

He shakes his head no.

"Did someone die?" I ask, gently.

He nods.

"Can you tell me who?" I ask, wiping tears from his face.

"Ev," he whispers, his voice shaking so much I can barely make the word out.

"What?" I ask, frowning at him, "What about them?"

He shakes and squeezes his face up trying to speak, "Something----something happened."

"What do you mean?" I ask, fierce now, "I talked to them two minutes ago."

He frowns at me.

I grab my phone, hands shaking. I call Penny's number.

"Hey mom," Ev says, completely calmly, "I'm kinda busy right now—we're driving we were gonna see a movie---,"

"Okay okay, that's fine you're okay though?" I ask, my voice shaking now. Gale stares at the phone in obvious horror.

"Yeah I'm perfectly good. I should help Penny drive though—,"

"Yeah, yeah, you guys focus, bye I love you," I say. I don't like distracting them driving they are kids. Penny is a good driver, but even so I want them to pay attention.

"Love you too. Bye mom."

I look at Gale who still staring at the phone in obvious disbelief.

"Is there a good reason you just gave me the fright of my life?" I ask him, punching his arm not all that hard. 

He glares at my phone, grabbing it and staring at the picture on the text feed. Then he throws it down and vanishes.

"Huh," I'm gonna have to tell that kid not to play tricks on their father or whatever it is they did.