Chapter 14: Yeah we're still in jail

Ev

"Hi Uncle Axel it's not too early there is it?" I ask, leaning against the desk.

"No, I just got back from my morning run, what's up?"

"I'm just making LAPD pay for a long distance call. My mom's coming to get me," I say, casually, while the desk clerk sputters.

"You getting into trouble, kid?"

"No, I was just at a party that's all, we're just waiting for rides, but they're harassing me about my driver's license and they keep calling me 'sir'. Is Uncle Phoenix around? Does he want to call them as my lawyer?" he is not a lawyer.

"Yeah, but he's making gestures at me and saying that you're stressing your mother and him can you not get trapped on private islands that are burning down?----I don't know he's showing me a news article------what, you were actually on fire?" he apparently read the news article.

"Yeah but I didn't like---get burned so it's cool."

"Okay cool---why does no one else think that's okay? Never mind---oh Red's here he says he'd love to call Californian's and pretend to be from Lambada legal what number—?---- Never mind he says he just googled it."

"Cool, thanks, do you know if my mom is mad?" I ask twisting the phone cord, "I don't want to call her. I know she's driving."

"She wasn't like ----surprised. So long as you didn't die again I'm sure it's cool. You know we care about you. How is your girlfriend? Did you get her in trouble?"

"No, she's here but she's fine. Hey, if my mom's fall trip is still on do you mind if I bring Penny when I come stay in August?"

"I'll ask---you're on speaker Phoenix says you don't have to ask yes of course she can come anytime."

"Cool. I haven't asked her yet," I say, twisting the phone cord, "Is it weird to feel nervous about asking her to go on vacation with me after the number of times we've been to the Underworld together and actually died?"

"I mean, maybe I don't know-------—okay fine yes I may have asked my husband if he married me as a friend—------fairly recently----he's making me tell you this---ow-------okay, yes this may have happened yesterday morning-------yeah anyway apparently it's normal to be nervous at any point in time, sorry mate."

"Yeah. I guess."

"Anyway, considering the number of times the girl has gone into life threatening situations with you I'm sure she'll want to come," he reassures me.

"Yeah. That's true. She got set on fire as well. Is she in the pictures?"

"Yeah, Phoenix says she is---oh Red says the dude he's talking to is already crying. What have you done to that office, Ev?"

"Nothing much personally, but there were an awful lot of spiders here generally. Anyway. They're saying my three minutes is up I'll call you later."

"You'd better."