Chapter 24: Bicycle

Reese

I realize the distraction is mostly over. It's been all day. And I've done what I can. I should go play my music and cause chaos someplace else.

Except I don't want to.

I feel bad. Frankie ought to get to come back to life if she wants. Her life was way too short. And she was nice enough to agree to help with nothing really in return. She's young, and she didn't really have any family because she was just in Elysium alone. That's sad. And lonely. She shouldn't be lonely forever. If she comes back she can live with our family and not have to be alone anymore. That's only fair.

I was supposed to get escorted out. My grandfather (not really, he's my dad's grandfather but we all call him that despite him saying not to), just showed up said 'are you winning, boy?' high fived me, then left without collecting me. So I'm still here. And I have to try something. Frankie's worth that.

"Let me make a deal with you--,"

"What are you still doing in my house??!"

"I'll do something for you, if you let Frankie come back to the surface with me. Fair's fair?" I ask, folding my arms, "Let's do business."

"Lucifer, no, please get out of my house!" my uncle Hector nearly dropped the files he was carrying.

"What's it to you? One soul?"

"I'm calling-----you have to have some reasonably responsible guardian," he says, picking up his phone.

"Please? I'll play you a pretty song," I offer.

"I don't want you to play me a song. I want you to leave my house and never speak to me again."

"Or I could play you a song? Wouldn't that be better?"

"No! It would not! Nothing would be better than you leaving and never coming back!"

"A little song might be. Do you like Veggie Tales?"

"I will set the hounds on you boy," he growls, clearly scrolling through his phone contacts.

"Aw come on. Please? I'll play Bicycle again maybe?" I offer, about to start playing.

"Reese, are you still here?"

"Hello, Aunt Jasmine," I say, as she breezes in behind me. She's wearing a long white, gauzy dress and her hair is clipped back with silver flower clips. She goes to hug her husband who I'm driving to distraction.

"What does he want?" she asks, petting his hair.

"Apparently to get thrown in Tartarus," Uncle Hector growls.

"Just a soul---this girl I met. Who now I'm madly in love with, can't I have her please? I'll play you a nice song?" I offer.

"I would consider it if you never played that instrument again."

"Shh now, why don't we make a deal, little one?" Aunt Jasmine asks me.

"Sure—what?" I ask.

"Why are you encouraging him?" Uncle Hector asks.

"Because he'll never win. How about a wager? If by some miracle you do win, you get to keep the girl with you up above, if you lose, you both stay here?" she asks, smiling.

"Sure!" I say, bouncing up and down, "What is it?"