Chapter 22: As long as it lasts

Ari

"The house is on fire."

"I don't care," I mumble, past his lips. He has me up against the wall and I don't think I've ever been happier in my life.

"As in you should go and not die," Than says, stroking my hair.

"Mmhm, give it a minute, Reese is fine," I say, kissing his neck to heal the love bites I distributed evenly on his smooth ash skin.

"How do you know?"

"I can hear him singing 'we didn't start the fire' and by the echo he's running around the house while doing it. But you're right, I should go," I say, cupping his face in both hands, "And so should you. You have a job as I recall."

"Yeah," he presses his forehead against mine, "I love you, pretty boy."

"I love too," I say, kissing him one more time.

"We will have tomorrow. Promise me?" he asks.

"Really low bar you're setting, me staying alive until tomorrow---but yeah it's completely valid so. Yes. We have tomorrow," I say.

"And the day after?" a wicked grin creeping across his lips.

"And the day after. And a thousand new sunrises, only for you," I say, pressing my forehead against his, "I'll be all right. I promise."

"Will you be?" He hesitates, "I know it isn't easy—coming back."

"Yes. For you. We have to have our tomorrows. Only for you."

"For you as well all right? I'm fond of you," he says, petting my face with the back of his hand. I lean into his touch, closing my eyes.

"Okay," I say, quietly.

"Shh. I'll come back again—potentially when you're alone. And not in the kitchen of a burning house that your siblings are robbing—,"

"Whatever, you know you loved it," I say, kissing him again.

"I love you and your very altered sense of what is normal," he says, fondly, "Go on now. Don't die."

"Are you always going to say that when we part?" I laugh, touching his wings. I like them. He knows that now.

"Yes, actually it's relevant."

"I don't like it. I want something better."

"Don't die I love you please don't die or raise people from the dead because I love you?"

"That'll do."