Chapter 18: I still want to go home

Penny

"Hi, dad I'm in a police station, but I think someone is coming to get me. But I don't like it don't they have to give me ear plugs if I ask? All the lights are loud," I say.

"Yes, they definitely do and I am completely sending someone for you in the next five minutes, precious. While you wait---is there something you want to tell me about you, Evander, and the river Styx?"

"We fell in but we're okay. It hurt though. How did you know?"

"My sister saw fit to text me—the sister who is in charge of the Underworld. How did you get out of said river?"

"We washed up. I really don't like the noise here AND I don't get my safe space."

"Ev is not your safe space."

"Yes, they are."

"Well, this is why you need a different safe space."

"My mom says I'm not supposed to use sheets of metal to incase myself and that it's destructive," I groan.

"I don't care about property destruction. I care about your feelings. If people die then that's just a sacrifice humanity needs to make for your comfort."

"Whatever," I groan, hand over the ear that isn't pressed to the phone.

"Can you hang on like five minutes?"

"Yeah."

"Okay five minutes. You're gonna be out of there. I promise."