Chapter 14: I should probably introduce myself

Bronte

You're probably wondering what I'm doing here. Hanging upside down from a ceiling. On a Titan's island. Interrupting an incompetent heist to stage my own heist.

It's kind of a funny story really, you'll enjoy it. Or not. Either way, it starts out a few days ago. Ahem. Rewind.

I was bored already with summer vacation. I realize it'd been all of two days but I'm dramatic like that. My mother doesn't have any time for me. My dad is teaching summer classes. And I was hoping I and my brothers could have some real fun while he's distracted.

Cassian was in trouble as usual, he stole some cattle. He says they belonged to him. They didn't. And he sent me to fetch Peter to run interference and pick him up in general. Which I did gladly, having nothing else to do.

But when I got back to the house, my house. He and Peter were leaving with some of our other cousins. I may have eavesdropped more than a little.

"Dad? Where're Cassian and Peter and Hugh going?" I asked, going back in the house. I doubted he knew they were breaking into the  Underworld and robbing people.

"I don't care. Hugh is supervising them," he said, shaking his head, "So long as they're not on the national news, that's all I ask. If you know don't tell me. I don't even want to know." And then what he said next is what really pissed me off. He said, and I quote: "Thank you so much for being nothing like you're brothers, it really helps keep me sane."

I don't want to keep him sane.

"I don't want to keep you sane," I mumbled, as he hugged me. I permitted it because most people don't touch me because they don't like spiders. He doesn't like spiders either but he forgets how very much he doesn't like spiders.

"I know, but I appreciate it anyway. Do you want to come to class with me?" he asked, hugging me tightly.

"No. I'm helping Luna," I lied. Well. That wasn't a plan until I just thought of it.

"All right. Love you, have a good day—call Gerard if you need a ride all right?" notice he said Gerard, his live in boyfriend, and not my actual mother. Gerard is healthily afraid of me it's very gratifying. I don't even torment him. He just is healthily afraid of me so he doesn't much bother about what I do.

Anyway.

My sister Luna runs a shelter for women and children and teenagers who've no place else to go. She also runs a hunting/guide business. I help her out sometimes. She's much older than me and is more of a mother than my mother. Plus, all her staff and her wife are all really cool. Also my other sisters tend to hang out there so it's typically a good place for chats and entertainment. With my grandfather away (something about 'a Python no Bronte please don't come I need some people who are nice to your dad to protect him and Gerard from your mother') I don't have any fun magic lessons to occupy me. And my mother has been complaining about how much time I spend in the Underworld of late. I don't mind her much, but sometimes it's not worth it hearing her moan.

"What's got you down? Grandpa's been away for two whole days; you can't be bored already," my aunt Luna said as I helped her pluck grouse from the morning's hunt. Our other sister, Dara, was there. She'd been in town for a few days and was helping with some orphaned owlets that Luna found.

"I am actually,-----well I'm less bored. More mad. Cassian and Peter are off causing trouble with our nieces and nephews and they didn't invite me. I'm useful when causing trouble. It's not fair," they're all a bit afraid of me. I don't intentionally scare them. Typically.

"Ah, the boys aren't letting you play?" Dara said, sympathetically, "I might know what that's like.  I was the youngest for a good while there."

"You're still dad's favorite."