Washington x Reader (Part One)

This was a request. I hope you enjoy it!

Sorry I disappeared for such a long time, had to work on my mental health for a while. But I am glad to be back!

So in this one you are disguised as a man and both Washington and Benedict Arnold find out. This ended up being long so expect a part two.

[y/fls/n] = your false name
-----------------------------------------------------------------

When the revolution broke out and there was a rise of the continental army, you had to join the fight. You hated the taxes, the way the redcoats moved into your homes and flooded the streets. You grew up on the streets, so it was easy to just leave and join up, you already dressed the part of a man, just needed to use dirt and dust to create a five-o'clock shadow, maybe thicken your eye brows with dirt and the charcoal that those artists use.

You looked just like a man. It would be easy to blend in. Once you did join you really did blend in with the others. You joined the Dragoons with a young Captain Tallmadge. Soon after he became a Major by request of General Washington. You never got to really see the General himself in person, but you did get some glances from afar. He was quite the sight to behold. So tall, and wise. 

You got close to Major Tallmadge and Lieutenant Brewster. You three had made quite the name for yourselves. Especially yourself. Washington often had you do special secret side missions for him and guard him though he hated having to be guarded. He said it made him feel like some cow made of gold. You told him it was because others cared for him, others feared him, and of the dangerous ones; the ones that hate him. When you weren't guarding him and someone else took over after you, you would try to read to him. He found out you couldn't read very well having grown up on the streets so he offered to help teach you in exchange for you being a body guard instead of a proper solider as he put it. You agreed finding you liked just being around him.

After guarding him one night and Simon took over for you, you entered the tent to see a much larger book in his hands. "Ready for the next step?"

"Is that? Something fancy?" you ask. Nervous. You never read strong literature. "I believe you are ready! You have made great progress." He set a seat next to his own and you sat next to him. "'The Rose and The Bear'?" you read in question. "Yes, this is an old romance story between a soldier and a noble woman of the kings court."

"This is not a tragedy? Like Romeo and Juliet, is it?"

"Let us read and find out." he smiles. You began to read, there were many large words and many you did not know, he was happy to explain but you found he was right. You were ready and doing a great job reading. 

It was time for you to return to your tent to rest and let him get rest too. Before leaving you turned to look at him. "I uh... I want to thank you. For everything. Taking time from your day to teach me how to read. I appreciate it."

"Oh of course. It is the least I can do, you do protect my life after all." He smiled, a soft and kind smile. "I have found that I do quite enjoy your company."

"I find that I enjoy your company too." you said, softly smiling back to him, you then leave the tent. You laid in your cot smiling to yourself, you found yourself blushing. He said he enjoyed your company. You quickly realized, you had a small crush on the General. 

A few days later when toy were approaching his tent to guard it you were stopped and then told that Washington you to return to Ben and his Dragoons. You wondered why the sudden change after he just said he enjoyed your company. You pushed it aside and gave a simple and hollow "Yes, Sir." as he stood behind the soldier and you went on your way to Ben and Brewster. You found you were happy fighting again. Then you received word that General Arnold had been injured, again. In the same leg no less and that he requested a guard at his tent. No one volunteered so you were summoned to be his. You agreed and made your way over telling Ben of your new role in things that you would be once again taken from his Dragoons. He didn't like it but he understood.