Hewlett x Reader: The Star and The Moon

This is a request from Bucky__Barnes_1917 and Lilith_Deckerstar, hope you enjoy!

The Moon will Sing- The Crane Wives, Mitski- My Love Mine All Mine

--------------------------

You moved to Setauket as a little girl, you worried you wouldn't make friends but soon found them; Ben, Abe, Caleb, and Anna. When your parents died Mr. Smith took you in under his wig and raised you as his own with Anna. You considered yourselves sisters and introduced your last name as Smith. Next thing you knew, Abe was married with a son and Anna was too married, to Selah Strong. Then the war began. Red coats flooded into town and into your homes, one was such. Ensign Weswood. Creep, he was, just creepy. You quickly found a reason- an excuse to move into Strong Manor with Anna. Didn't stop him from coming to the tavern were you worked, sure lots of redcoats came to the tavern but he made it his purpose to make sure you brought him the drinks and food, talk to him. You couldn't wait for the war to be over.

"Miss Smith, more ale please."

"On my way." you walked over and poured the men ale as they laughed and spoke as loud as one could speak. You saw the Major, he would quietly read a book before the others flooded the tavern, he would leave shortly after, hating the noise the men made. Not that you could blame him. You often had headaches from the men. He closed his book and rose from his seat and went on his way, not before giving you a light bow. "Miss Smith."

"Major." you smiled. He was a kind man, shy and timid at times but very intelligent and good thinker. "Miss Strong, how are you this fine day?" gleamed Ensign Weswood. "Well." you bluntly answered, forced smile. "Ale today?"

"No, I'll take a sherry as well as the Lieutenant." Lieutenant Simcoe was always hanging around Weswood. They had a similar nature about them, a cleverness and keen observation skills, it was trouble for sure. "Two sherry's. Coming up, have a seat gentlemen." as you walked away the door opened and you turn to see it was Abe, he walked over to Selah and engaged in private conversation, soon Roberson started spouting about the mouth. Captain Joyce indulged the mans madness and folly personality. Next thing you knew a fight broke and Weswood along Simcoe dragged both Abe and Selah away.

"What did they do? Roberson started it, did he not?" you ask Anna. "That doesn't matter. Its their word over ours."

"Over theirs too then?" Anna sighed, "Aye. Over theirs too."

Once it came closing time you rushed to Whitehall and banged on the door. The Major opened the door. "Do you know the time- Oh- Miss Smith, what can I do-"

"I must speak with the Magistrate." you rush past him and turn corner so see him reading on a chair. "Soldiers arrested your son and my brother in-law unjustly. They did no wrong, fix this." you rush out the door. The Major wishing you goodnight faintly under his breath, you barley caught it. You wanted to say goodnight back but already walked to far away and was to upset to speak more. You got home and your feet were killing you. You kicked off your shoes and made a special tea to help with the headache in the meanwhile until you went to your room to aid your feet. "You went to the Magistrate, didn't you?" Anna stood in the doorway to the kitchen. "Yes, I think Abe will be released but not Selah."

"You may be right. I'll see you in the morning."

"See you in the morning." The next day, Abe was out and Selah was not, pillory locked. Selah was deemed to be sent to The Jersey, a prison ship. Captain Joyce found dead and Abe was missing. Chaos was about. A man named Robert Rogers came into Setauket and conducted investigation into Joyce's murder. You and Anna found Abe innocent and began to look through Captain Joyce's things to look for a clue to guide evidence to who killed the man. You found a love letter written to Joyce.