Chapter Fifty Nine: The Clarke's Family Secret

(Song: Monster by Paramore)

"What?"

My heart dropped to my stomach. I wanted to cry but I couldn't.

I looked back at all of the memories of being a family. They weren't the same anymore.

"What do you mean my real mum?" I said in a distressed manner.

"Your mother, she was my sister... my twin sister. She died while giving birth to you. From then on, we adopted you. I was just trying to give you a normal life," she continued.

I stayed silent as I looked over to Ezra, he was just as shocked as I was.

"And I suppose you're not my real father either," I replied looking at my dad.

He shook his head.

"All my life, I was constantly wondering why I was so different from you. I was bullied countless times because I didn't fit the mold of my family. And you decided to tell me this now instead of when I was a kid?" I asked.

No one said anything.

"I didn't know how to tell you Vera," she responded.

I sat there for a second trying my hardest not to break down.

"What about my real father?" I asked.

"Lucy didn't tell me anything about your birth father," she replied.

"Lucy?" I asked.

"Lucinda Eleanor Mortem, that was her name," my mum replied.

I sat in silence for a while trying to comprehend everything that just happened. I began to see their point. How do you bring up a conversation like this to a kid?

My father stood up from his seat.

"Now if we're finished up here, we have to meet the Malfoy's for dinner in twenty minutes, go get ready you two," my father said before heading into the study.

My mum gave me a sympathetic smile before Ezra and I headed upstairs. I quickly headed to my room and shut the door behind me.

I felt like I didn't have enough time to process what happened. I was angry, hurt, but most of all I was sad. I was most disappointed in my father's reaction. He acted so cold and brushed it off as it was any other conversation.

When we got to the Malfoys, we didn't discuss it any further. I had to act like everything was normal although I'm sure uncle Lucius and aunt Narcissa already knew about it.

Dinner was over pretty quickly. I sat in silence while our parents discussed the plans for back to school shopping.

"Thank you for dinner," I began, "I'll just be in the library. Ezra, Draco, care to join me?" I asked.

Ezra didn't hesitate in following me, neither did Draco.

As soon as we got to the library and sat down on the sofas, I told Draco everything.

"I'm sorry V," Draco replied.

"Obviously you're going to need some time to process all of this. Just know that even after all this I'm still your older brother," Ezra said.

I nodded.

"Thanks Ez," I replied with a small smile.

"Yeah, and I'll still be your annoying cousin," Draco said, lightening up the conversation.

I laughed.

"So who are your birth parents?" Draco asked.

"Mum had a late twin sister named Lucinda, that's pretty much all we know," Ezra said.

"Lucinda? Mortem?" Draco questioned.

I nodded.

"I've heard that name before, but where?" Draco said as he tried remembering.

We all stayed silent for a moment.

"The book!" Draco said.

He quickly walked over to a specific shelf next to one of the desks. He picked up a brown book and brought it over to us.

"I've seen our parents go through this certain book multiple times," he began. "Lucinda Mortem wrote in my mum's book," he said pointing to a small paragraph at the corner of the page.

Narci,
Annie, you, and I had loads of fun during our times at Hogwarts. I know we'll see each other often so writing a farewell in this book isn't necessary. I wish you and Lucius a happy life together.

Love Always,
Lucinda Mortem

"They were all friends," I said.

"Just like you and the twins, V," Ezra said, trying to make me feel better.

I smiled.

"Are there any pictures of her in here?" I asked Draco.

Draco skipped a few pages ahead. It was a student section sorted by houses.

"There's dad, mum, Uncle Harrison, and Aunt Annie, I don't see your mum in here Vera," Draco said looking through the row of Slytherins.

"There's Snape," Ezra said pointing to him.

Snape was pictured there with no expression, not even for a school photo.

"He never changed," Draco said with a giggle.

"So where is she?" I asked.

"Think she was sorted into a different house V?" Draco asked me.

I shrugged.

We flipped through the other pages desperate to find her in one of the student sections.

"There she is, Lucinda Eleanor Mortem, second to last row," Ezra said pointing to the small square.

"Ravenclaw," Draco said.

My mother was sorted into Ravenclaw. Just like me. She had the same brown hair and green eyes like her sister. She obviously looked like her twin, the only difference was that her hair was wavier.

"They look the same, to be honest," Ezra said.

"Well of course they do, they're twins you bloody idiot," Draco replied, making me laugh.

"I want to find out more about her," I said as I flipped through the book.

"We can help," Ezra suggested.

Draco agreed.

"Bet there's loads of stuff about Lucinda in here," Draco said.

I nodded.

"I'm honestly relieved that my mum was sorted into Ravenclaw. I don't feel that much of an outcast now," I said.

"What about your surname?" Draco asked.

"I don't know who my father is," I replied.

"We can look for him too, someone has to know something about your father," Ezra replied.

I nodded.

"Your birth certificate, we can start there," Draco suggested.

"Alright, thank you guys," I replied.

"Of course V, you'll always be family to us," Ezra said as he put his arm around my shoulder.

"I better be, you've annoyed me my entire life," I said as we laughed.

"What about mum and dad?" Ezra asked.

I wondered what was going to happen. Any chance of us being a real family was ruined. I no longer wanted to please them. I didn't have to follow their paths anymore. Which meant I wasn't competing against Ezra anymore.

"They're not my parents," I began, "He didn't even seem to care about the whole ordeal," I continued.

Ezra nodded.

"I know," he replied.

"How long do you think until the word gets out?" Draco asked.

"People will be talking about it the first week of school, I already know it," I replied as I closed the book.