Chapter Sixty Two: Hidden Clues in the Photos

(Song: Castle by Halsey)

I adapted to my class schedule pretty quickly. Luckily the twins, Lilah, and I had potions together again. Fred, George, and I had Charms as well.

The only difference was that I had Jess and Lee in my Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Angelina and I had Muggle Studies together.

Unfortunately I had Aria and Adrian in my Transfiguration class and was stuck with Auden in the History of Magic class.

Just my fucking luck.

"Vera," Professor McGonagall said, interrupting my thoughts.

"Yes professor?" I asked.

"Switch seats with Mr. Kingsley, I can't have them whispering nonsense in my class any longer," McGonagall said gesturing to Pucey and Kingsley.

No fucking way.

"Anyone but her," Pucey complained.

"Silence Mr. Pucey, Ms. Clarke go to your new assigned seat," she demanded.

I hesitated to pick up my books and move, but ultimately I had to. This day couldn't get any worse. I silently groaned as I plopped down next to Adrian.

"Alright then, these will be your permanent seats and the person next to you will also be your partner for the duration of the year," McGonagall said.

"For fuck sakes," Adrian uttered his breath.

"Just my fucking luck," I shot back.

Adrian rolled his eyes as McGonagall began her first lesson of the year. We had to use a transforming spell on a toad to turn it into a toadstool.

"Disgusting creature," Pucey whispered as he caught sight of the small toad sitting at our desk.

"It's just an animal Adrian, it's not going to do anything," I said annoyed at his reaction.

"Shut up, Clarke. Or are you even going by that last name anymore?" Pucey asked.

"Oh wow another orphan joke, that's not getting old anytime soon," I said flipping through my textbook.

"Whatever," he said.

All of a sudden the toad jumped onto Pucey's hand. I could tell he was about to freak out.

"Don't scream, you'll scare it," I warned him.

Surprisingly, he listened to me. Pucey didn't move a muscle as I attempted to take the toad off his hand.

"Hurry up and get this thing off me, Clarke," he said frantically.

I grabbed the animal off of his hand and put it closer to my side of the desk.

"How could you possibly hold that thing? It's all slimy and gross," he said.

"It's harmless and I'm used to holding animals. The twins and I caught things in their garden all the time as kids," I said as I grabbed a wet towelette from my bag and handed it to him. 

He grabbed it from me and wiped his hands clean.

"Now, we're going to try something new this year," McGonagall began saying, "Since all of you are paired with someone from a different house, it's important that you learn to get along with your partner. Half of your course marks will come from partner projects," she said.

"At least I got paired up with the top of our class," Pucey said in an annoyed tone.

I rolled my eyes.