Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Four: One Week

"Dad, do you have a minute?" I asked as I entered the study.

"Sure, come sit," he said as he put his newspaper down on the desk.

I'm almost done with my list. I made the rest of the Weasley's promise not to tell the twins, Lilah and Jess, or Angie.

Ezra took the news rather well. He's already writing a list of souvenirs he wants from New York.

"What's wrong?" he asked immediately.

"Nothing's wrong dad," I began, "Why'd you assume something was wrong?" I asked.

"I've raised you since you were a baby, I know when you're anxious," he said.

I sighed.

"Dad, I'm moving to New York," I blurted out.

His smile faded.

"Only for nine months. I'll be filling in for the editor in chief while she's on maternity leave," I said hoping I didn't make him too sad.

His smile slowly showed up again as he reached across the desk to pat my shoulder.

"I'm proud of you Vera," he said.

In all my years, I haven't heard him say that to me. As a kid, we always had a strange relationship. He's the closest I'll ever get to an actual father and hearing him say it to me and not Ezra surprised me.

"Thanks, Dad," I said.

"I actually have a colleague in New York. He can help set you up with a flat over there. I can owl him if you'd like," he suggested.

"That would be great, dad. Thanks," I said.

"Of course darling, please let me know if you need anything while you're abroad. I'll help however I can," he said.

I nodded.

"I'll be back before we leave for our family vacation. Thea and Blaise already know about this but I made them promise not to tell you," I confessed.

"Am I the last one you've told?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"The twins, Angie, Lilah, and Jess don't know yet," I said.

" Aren't you leaving in two weeks?" he asked.

I slowly nodded.

He chuckled slightly.

"You are my daughter," he said with a smirk.

A smile instantly formed on my face.

***

One Week Later

My life was all packed up into two suitcases, a trunk, and my duffle. Kreacher helped me with the important documents. With help from dad, I was able to rent out a beautiful flat in New York City.

I only needed to do one last thing.

I invited everyone to dinner at my favorite restaurant to break the news. They are going to be fucking mad that I didn't tell them earlier, and I'm hoping being in a public setting will keep them from making a scene. 

I sat at the table anxiously waiting for the others to arrive. My palms were sweaty, my legs wouldn't stop shaking, and I played with the bracelets on my wrist.
"Champagne?" the waiter asked.

I could tell that he sensed my anxiousness as he poured the glass.

"Already getting started V?" Lilah asked as she sat down next to me.